Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Life-giving friendships and prayers

Sunday, August 2, 2026 Happy 91st Birthday, Mom!
Mom is in frail health in a care home. Every day, we mention her in prayer along with the rest of the family. For all our lives, our mom has prayed for us daily so now it's our turn to carry her before God.

Robin arrives mid-morning for a chat, cookies, and tea. We haven't seen him in ages - so good to reconnect.

Martin and Sayaka come by after the Gathering. Sayaka is an experienced dental hygienist who's worked with stroke victims and children with disabilities. She trained and worked in Japan for years, helping restore function to tongue and facial muscles. She's a blessing: W learns a lot.
David and Georgina come by to show off their beautiful kids, Noa and Neri. They lived with us for 5 months at the old place before they moved to Japan. They're visiting his family and old ffriends, then will be on their way to see her family in Mexico. We forget to take a photo.

While Sayaka and Waldemar work together, I prepare lunch. Our friends are willing to stay for lunch, so we share a pasta salad and some cookies.

Pak Chandra drops by with this weekend's stunning bouquet, made by Ibu Titik.

Wow, this one takes my breath clean away. We share hugs before they're off to lunch with their family.
Danny drops in for a visit. He's been traveling, as have we. It's been months since we've seen each other. He brings a huge meal plus some meat-and-cheese rolls. We sit on the Porch with treats and honey-turmeric tea, talking and enjoying the company. I walk him to the gate as W rests.

Monday
It's still Mom's birthday on the other side of the world. I talk to her for the first time in ages. Sandi made her a birthday party, brought a cake, and invited family and caregivers over to the care home. Norm sends the family photos of the event, making our hearts happy for her. She tells me who was there and how things went, a big improvement over the last few days of being almost unresponsive.

A lone iris is blooming as W and I walk the dogs by. 
Here's my view of the 3 "big dogs": Gypsy the old dog is stiff but insists on trotting along. Anton (alias Monster) does very well, even passing cats. May help that I've begun to tap the side of his head when he turns to look and considers lunging. He, as well as we, miss our mountain hikes.
The speech therapist works with W while I am on a call with a friend. My brother Norm and I chat to catch up as well. I prepare a mid-morning snack for W and start making lunch before catching up on emails.

We remove the plastic wrap from a new-to-us bedspring and move it into the sunshine to air out. It was in storage for a while but never used. It came our way a few weeks ago. After being propped in the entry where visitors come and go, we move it into the guest room.

I'm ready to tackle the room's windows with a second floral layer = vintage 1980s king-sized sheets. Our stepladder is too short and the tall ladder has rungs so far apart that I hate using it. I'm doubly cautious: my step-grandpa died after a fall off the ladder while cleaning the eaves of his house.

I compromise. How about a sturdy stepstool on a sturdy table? It's the right height, has wide step-surfaces, and feels non-wobbly. Up I go.
The former white sheet already has well-spaced clips so the new topper is an easy addition. Open the clip, pull the second sheet up and in, and fold the layers into pleats from top to bottom. The doubled fabric gives heft to the curtain; it's also no longer opaque when the light's on. What a good thing that British florals are in style! That trend came in the 90s, and went in the 2000s, and is back again.
We do another walk around the neighborhood - that's 3 miles at what seems just the right temperature. When I check, it's 85oF/30C. Hmmm. Guess we're acclimated.

Orange seems to be the color of most blooms in our yard and around the walk. A flaming hedge is covered in clumps of 2"/5cm petals.
In late evening for our time zone, the August mastermind is small but helpful. We consider ways to lead and live well.
Tuesday
I thow open the curtains to my office and his shrub is blooming outside the window with 5-7"/12-15cm spires of color. So cheerful! After a walk and breakfast, the long calls with Martha and Mario are filled with friendship and hope. Together we wonder at the goodness of the God we serve, marveling at the good news He offers the world through Jesus.
The Project staff is here in full force, washing bedding, cooking, and cleaning up after a busy weekend. More guests are expected. The women cook for the others while W and I eat what I prepare.

I hear from a book agent who offers to take my books to a publisher.  I don't delete it immediately since I know the press and have reviewed books for them. I have to check if it's legitimate since we receive various such emails. Who knows. Life happens step by step when you're working in multiple directions.

How about a bonus for myself and W, who is on a low-sugar regimen? I melt some squares of dark chocolate, smash an equal amount of seeds and nuts into tiny pieces, and combine them. The mixture goes into a tray for tiny ice cubes, cooling in the fridge for a few hours. 

It's not pretty. The half-full squares easily pop out of the tray - for an almost-healthy portion of crunchy goodness. The tastes of little cheats make a big difference when you're changing your lifestyle and diet, don't they? 

"You don't need a whole chocolate bar, Hon, really." W smiles as he pops one into his mouth. Proof positive right there. Thank you, everyone who prays for us and sends notes of encouragement. We are pleased with his care and his progress, 2 weeks after the stroke that limited his speech.

Read more:
The LORD is good to all, and his compassion is over all that he has made. Psalm 145:9

* Although these nations that you are about to dispossess do give heed to soothsayers and diviners, as for you, the LORD your God does not permit you to do so. Deuteronomy 18:14

* Now, however, that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and beggarly elemental principles? How can you want to be enslaved to them again? Galatians 4:9

Moravian Prayer: Lord, as foreigners in a strange land, remind us to be mindful of the familiar temptations to serve the gods of false strength, security, and familiarity. Instead, help us follow your generous and compassionate leading. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment