Monday, August 20, 2012

Creation day


The first tote - polka-dots galore!
Many artists talk about energy welling up before they paint, compose music, or sculpt. Creative tasks lie unfinished until "it's time!"

Works for me! Having cheerful people walking by the cabin helps boost the "Do-It" mood. Glacier is hosting the first day of the annual "West of 60s" camp. All those friends chatting, strolling, and visiting makes me smile. (I have 4 more years before I can attend. I've been waiting 15 years for this camp. It looks like they have much more fun than any other group.)

So... I've been thinking. For our daily walks to the post office, I could use a lightweight backpack tote. Hence, last week I bought two 1/2-yard fabric remnants that have waited unused while I figured out a work process AND waited until my art energy got high enough to tip the "GO!" bucket.
The second tote: more subtle navy and cream

The synergy happened at noon today. The how-to process became suddenly clear as I hauled out the sewing machine. Within 15 minutes, I'd finished two tote bags, one from each remnant. And then, why not? I used the leftover panels to make a third, a two-print tote. Kirsten has claimed the polka-dot one. (Our girls R & M, if you want one, let me know!)

Tools of the trade: minimal! for maximum fun
When I was done, I was still on the prowl. Upstairs in the cabin, we've ignored a "Ugly" entertainment center for several years. It's a sturdy Broyhill piece that doesn't remotely match anything else we own.

A few days ago I had a germ of an idea and bought a roll of white MacTac (sticky contact paper, for non-Canadian readers). Seemed like anything white I could create on that storage piece would at least match our white walls! We have a birch trunk in our entry and a few birches outside. White. Well, white-ish. Voila. A birch idea took shape.

"Am I done yet?" Nope. Doesn't feel complete.
Today seemed like the perfect day to camouflage the piece while I was still looking for something artsy to do.

I started by cutting somewhat-straight lengths from a 78" piece. We had a perfect razor knife (from putting up blinds) that zipped through the stick-on paper like nobody's business.

I thought I might be done after putting up the branches: I remember an art instructor saying the trick for artists was knowing when to say enough. Nope, I wasn't quite ready for "the End."

Left side
Right side
A few more snips and I had a finished product - for now. After a few gashes in the long trunks and a few leaves ...

I'm considering some pencil shading for realism. What do you think?

I may rest tomorrow, but it still feels like there's art energy to burn off. Oh oh!

What's your creative project this week?

Read more:
*The Lord God will not fail you or forsake you, until all the work for the service of the house of the Lord is finished. 1 Chronicles 28:20 ESV

Our Lord Jesus Christ will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:8 NIV


*(Paul wrote:) "Think about what I am saying. The Lord will help you understand all these things." 2 Timothy 2:7 ESV

Moravian Prayer: There is so much to do in your service, Lord, and we despair of accomplishing anything. Give us strength to continue and to know that all will be done in your time, not ours. Be with us in our work today. Amen.



3 comments:

  1. Um, Rosemarie...this is sooo awesome. Great job. Love seeing your spontaneous artsy side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the trees. Also, really needed those scriptures. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how an open mind and willing hands can shape our surrounding - inside and out. Blessings and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete