Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Merriment and madness

May 31.2016
Isaac, our youngest grandchild, turned one yesterday. I enjoy such times with the family and their friends.
The birthday boy, siblings, and friends
And suddenly it's the last day of May. Another month has flown by.
Even a boring breakfast is tastier on china.
Yes, that is the last Nanaimo bar...
My new driver license arrives - another item off the "must-do" checklist. As usual, the picture is weird but identifiable. I sometimes wonder if I should care more. Too late.
Memorial Weekend was fun. The grands celebrated with a rousing guitar duet that included a couple of high kicks and guitar throws. Hilarious.

The grands are growing fast: every day they get more coordinated and faster.

There's nothing like a Radio Flyer horsie to wear off pent-up energy. Of course, the girl - without any prompting - runs upstairs and brings back her cowboy hat. Dress for the occasion. (Remember that, K?)
Feeding and riding the boys' birthday
present (though Levi's bday comes later)
I take a final look back over my shoulder at last week. 111 of us from 39 countries were administered citizenship. Some brought family members and friends to celebrate.

The blackberries are blooming in the hedges - and poppies are out in mass. Spring is Seattle's best season.
I may have to paint these poppies.
I miss Bandung. There are some things that people who fight for food and shelter understand about the value of being human. I have been thinking a lot about an article in the news. 

When did an animal's life begin to trump a child's? Um - doesn't scripture warn that corrupted and immoral people will do mad things and applaud madness in others? (Read Romans 1)

Crazy but privileged people often get a louder voice and more press than sane ones when it comes to protecting human life. Let me set this straight: as a Christian, I value life - human or animal. I take seriously our duty to protect the environment. Why? God, whom we love and serve, made the world beautiful and put us in charge of keeping it that way. He will hold us accountable for our stewardship.

That said, can we acknowledge thta it takes only a minute for a child's body to be shaken to death? if your child is in danger of death, after 10 minutes of being dragged around an animal pen, would you applaud saving the youngster's life above drawn-out debates about animal rights and maybes or what-ifs? How many parents would set a child's future and health over prolonged hopes that a wild animal will release our kid? (It may have been too late to intervene much later.)

But I wonder how many "animal rights" advocates have youngsters - or would protest saving their child in exchange for saving a gorilla. A deceased friend's son lamented to me that his mother always preferred her pets over him. That crushed him, growing up. "She chose the needs of dogs over me as her child every time." Luckily, his step-father assured him of his value and dignity as a human.

Insanity as norm has always frightened me. And I'm not afraid of much.

Read more:
*God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” Exodus 3:14 ESV

*In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me? Psalm 56:4 ESV

*Blessed are those who act justly, who always do what is right. Psalm 106:3 NIV

*Jesus Christ says, “I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20 ESV

*This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. John 15:12 ESV

Moravian Prayer: Hear our prayer, O Lord, in the words of the hymn writer. We are reminded of the great city Jerusalem, descending from above and the joy that waits for us there. We celebrate and rejoice in knowing and tasting such sweet bliss beyond compare. Incline your ear to us, and grant us your peace. 
Fill our hearts today with the knowledge that we have a purpose to fulfill, as we come to your throne asking for the confidence and the courage to complete the tasks set before us. As we close another month in this year, help us to walk in your deep love with our brothers and sisters. Bless us we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment