Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Fishing and piecing

Monday, October 12, 2020

Well, though we're working, W and I spend some creative energy between meetings and obligations. He researched travel and hotels for an upcoming conference.

Moi? After an early meeting with another right after, I think today is the day to piece the first of two quilt tops. My mind wanders freely when my hands are busy, or that's the theory. I have some options to think through - shall we do this or that - so I turn on zoom and get to work on everything but the options.

By the end of the day, the center of a twin-sized quilt top is done. I just lay the border around the outside to make sure it will look ok before folding it away. As usual, handwork and math also clarify other issues. Some of the puzzles in my head work themselves out for the week ahead.

Some quilters use patterns, but I like to play. The blocks were cut out of two pieces of batik a few weeks ago.

t took me a few tries to get a layout I liked.

 
The blocks were then stacked in a neat pile, along with fabric scraps. (Those fabrics will be inserted between the blocks. Maybe. Depends on what I like when I'm in the flow of sewing, right?)
For me, the math takes longer than it used to. I made a loose sketch and a B&W printout of the blocks. All I need is the approximate placement and width for the strips between blocks.

 

The quilt top has to jell in my head before I can start. Today, I have a fluid picture of what might happen. So I'm ready to start piecing and experimenting.

My office becomes a mess of clipped threads, possible layouts, trimmed fabric, and cutting tools.

The trusty Bernina machine churns through a lot of seams. I keeping sewing and ironing. (You can't sew intersections until the seams are flattened.)

Why not just "go for it," sewing blocks of strips together? I cut and sew strips to fit between blocks.  The tails of the longer strips hang loosely at the ends of sections. The strips are all different lengths but can be reconfigured into new patterns, right? (and that's what happens.) The rows of block are sewn together with extra strips inserted as needed. The seam ripper comes in handy if I don't get the order right. Or if I just plain don't like it.

About suppertime, we have dear guests drop by. After they leave, I do a few tests of the border, sending pics to my artsy friends for their vote. I'll attach the border and sew the backing another day. (Disgarded option #2 below. The one chosen is above.)

Tuesday

About 7am, I make Dutch Babies (oven pancakes.) Sometimes you're just hungry for a certain taste. While they bake, W and I record sound bites for the next few weeks online. 

I head to the office for a 9:00 team meeting. We're still online, but I have better focus when I'm in the office. After answering emails and phone calls, it's lunchtime. W fortuitously drops by with a mango juice. He's just picked up Kirsten's passport. Yay! I hitch a ride home to eat Vietnamese spring rolls. They're among my favorite foods. (I made extra noodles and chicken on Sunday so it would be a simple "roll" inside the rice wrapper today.)

*Thanks for all those who prayed: K got her visa renewal ... and her passport is back. It's always slightly freakish for foreigners to leave our passports in other hands, somewhere in an immiration office.*

When I get back to the office, there are a few calls waiting and a few chores. Done.

And yes, today I have time for another cleanup. The "fish pail" (designated for aquarium water changes) has been sitting in the office since before the weekend. I have to build up energy and enthusiasm for cleaning, regardless what is being tidied.

The office aquarium needs a deep clean. Since it only happens once or twice a year, it's a small chore between months of pleasure and relaxation. Ok, ok, today's the day.

Algae on the glass obscures the view, the soil is poking out from under the gravel, and the water is never clear even with water changes. The moss on the back panel is muddy grey from filtering fish waste, too. 

It only takes 2 hours to catch the fish, drain and scrub the tank, and clean and rinse the gravel, sand, and rocks. I trim and reattach the plants, stack the volcanic rocks, and refill the tank.  The filter works hard: within an hour, everything is crystal clear. Finally, plop: in go the fish from their little holding bowl.

The sun sets early - I want to be off the streets before dark, so I clean up, clear out, and do a final walk. Saya sedang pulang. I am going home.

Read more:

*David said to Solomon, “The Lord God will not fail you or forsake you, until all the work for the service of the house of the Lord is finished.” 1 Chronicles 28:20

Think of us in this way, as servants of Christ and stewards of God’s mysteries. 1 Corinthians 4:1

Moravian Prayer: We are your servants, Lord. Stand by us, as you did with Solomon, as we do your work. We know that with your guidance and protection, we can accomplish more of your work. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment