Friday, March 26, 2021

Sometimes less is more

One of my friends wrote a "Big Picture Planner" that's been utterly useful in keeping track of work and life. I put all the calls and callbacks into it, day by day. That helps me see that something - and something important - is getting done. It's harder to keep track of appointments and accomplishments when one day blurs into another without a broader perspective. (Cheaper than other planners, too. Get it here.)

The best part of the week are connections spaced between time alone. If I don't get that recovery space, ooh lala, I don't want to see anyone.

We eat some good meals, including a last chance at what used to be our go-to restaurant near the office. During the covid season, neither the food nor the service has been inspiring - and they have tough competition in this neighborhood. There are many new restaurants looking for our business. Mostly, we eat at home. These ribs are tasty and the broccoli cooked just right #MissBeeProvidore.

This is a typical Indonesian meal: a cone of rice surrounded by side dishes.

In the office, things have almost wrapped up: The tank is coming back to life after an algae bloom while we traveled. No matter what we tell people, they feed too much. Then I have to take everything apart and restart the tank.
W came into the office and painted the doors white inside. Once in a while he likes to do the work of his father (a professional house-painter) though I'd leave it for the handyman.
We go from this 
to this. Once the eye doesn't stop at a contrast, that's good. It's also brightened the corner a lot.
Thursday and Friday we have business in Jakarta, culminating in a wonderful lunch with friends.

IKEA doesn't let us in - we were hoping to drop by to see if what I need is available. The woman takes one look at W's white hair and asks for ID. "Too old," she says after a glance at his passport. "Can't go in." They don't ask if we've been vaccinated. They don't ask if we are healthy. Go away. We do.

A friend suggests I shop IKEA online and have it shipped to a pickup point near their house. Nope. IKEA is not getting my money this trip. Besides, the best fun (besides what we need) is browsing the "as-is" section.

W decides to hit the foreign grocer first and then go to the hotel. That's a mistake for me. Instead of wanting to head out to explore, the fatty lunch catches up and I take a quick nap. The hotel is very comfy - I love the peaceful blues on the floor.
We head into the mall at my lowest time of day. W walks me through every floor on two connected malls, but it's just a runaround. I don't even window-shop with company. A quick floor to floor exploration in an hour - and 6000 steps ... and it's better to go in the morning when I'm alone.

Supper is a dim sum place that's not as good here as its franchise in Singapore (fabulous) and in Seattle (pretty good).
I'm initially tempted by the take-home freezer but afterwards am no longer hunger so we skip it. I can't shop for food when I'm not hungry.
Our view from the table is strange - Greek statues on pedestals and golden lions spaced around a blue-painted sky dome. 
Inside the mall, the enormous red dragon from Chinese New Year still hovers. OH! it's my one chance to get into a good Asian mall - it's been a while. (Did I even get to a decent mall this past year?)
We sleep well on a comfy mattress. And when I'm ready to go, the mall doesn't open until 10:00. Someone calls at 10, I have 20 minutes of browsing - long enough to dash into one fitting room in the mall. Then I have a wonderful tea with a dear young friend.  We have a final luncheon before heading home to Bandung. So that didn't work. Next time, I block off time alone in a mall ... "pick me up in 2 or 3 hours."

The "bucking bronco" highway is a little disconcerting as the fastest way in and out of Jakarta. W thinks perhaps planners chose a non-even surface to prevent racing on the elevated freeway. I'm sure it works.

What my frustration at not finding the things I hoped to shop for produces is a "next idea." I'm going to start exploring the sections of our own city without errands or agendas. I'm sure I can find some of the things I'm looking for here - somewhere. With most expats gone, the shops with non-Indonesians goods have mostly closed. (Jakarta has more foreigners and more international selections. But we don't get there more than a few times a year, usually on a run-through.)

Not driving the car ourselves is a benefit. It's easier to have a local driver handle negotiations if we're hit by someone and we are less likely that we'll be stopped for any reason. It gives us time to talk or work in the car in bad traffic. And the salary benefits a local person's family.

W plans our excursions to town around things we are looking or chores. I still don't know where I am after years in this city. "Look at the maps I'm using," he says to me - but since I have no idea of our destination, the journey is meaningless. Round and round we go.
I recognize some landmarks but have little idea of how to get there on my own. The streets wind around hills and neighborhood with arbitrary and ever-shifting one-ways and blocked streets. Ok girl, it's time to explore, to do some planning on my own map. Knowing where we're headed, even if it's just a section of the city, it won't take me long to get a handle on it. Brain-chaos for me is that "just one stop" for an errand that takes us on a windy detour.

This week, I make several dozen video calls and listen to some podcasts. It's a productive few days though not easy. And how did we get to the weekend again?

My faithful little "lamb" snoozes patiently in the sunshine at my feet or sits on my lap. He's totally curly after a few trips to the yard in the rain. After only 2 weeks, B is part of my life. He loves the morning walks and hangs out nearby all day long. Good doggie.

Read more:
*Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.


Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:5-8 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment