Saturday, July 31, 2021

A trip around the table, in a manner of speaking

It's our oldest grandchild's birthday. Happy Birthday, Kinsey. This is a big one! It's great to see all the pictures sent by her sweet mom. How we enjoy those, though it's less lively than in person.

When I wait too long to move things, I become hyper-aware of spaces. This week, we swapped living and dining areas in our big old room. That takes place periodically. But this time I thought about it for two months before it happened. I just didn't have the energy to do it. (I'm borrowing this because it's so funny)

Yep, I've probably waited too long. Usually things shift as soon as I figure out where they will land. Takes 2-3 days.  I don't always like the layout right away. It takes my head a while to wrap around the new configuration.

This time, to burn off creative energy before the major swap, I cut my hair, quilted, changed sofa pillowcases and slipcovers, swapped out the kitchen counter tiles, and set up a home patio desk. We cut  flowers from the yard and make a variety of arrangements. (Wouldn't you, if such marvels grew in your garden?)

I wrote and walked the dogs with W. That always helps.

"Do you maybe have ADD?" asked the therapist. "Not everyone has to move things around." Well, maybe, if creative alignments are a symptom.

I also browsed through pictures of people. We've lived in this house for 6 1/2 years. Whew. We've had a lot of friends around the table.

Even more have hung out on the porch.
 
Hundreds have sat on the floor.
 
Some have been here for special events. Those have been a lot of fun.
When I looked further back at childhood photos, I found pictures of people sitting around my parents' table while my brothers and I were growing up. So that's always been a family thing.

Mom taught me how to cook, bake, clean, change the bedding, and make people feel welcome. Thanks, Mom! Those hospitality skills have come in handy. This week we enjoy wonton soup early in the week.
If you're lucky, you have a friend like Alice with the gift of hospitality. She loves to cook and is willing to share her experiments. #rabenhouse #alicenurarif The Greek pie was full of flavor between the flaky crusts.
I make the easiest cookies ever on a day that feels like I should bake something. If you try this, warm the peanut butter and honey together slightly (20 sec microwave or stovetop) and then stir in the rest. Makes 8 balls, mashed with a fork. Refrigerate for an hour or more.
Wow - adding this to "easy standards". We freeze the leftovers, looking forward to 2 for breakfast another day.

Homemade waffles are easy, too. I find a good recipe and sharing and freeze the leftovers. (Thaw them in a toaster when you can't think of what to eat for sarapan /breakfast).
Asha sends a picture of herself with another project, a batik sails quilt. Her mother-in-law quilted the top we brought from Indonesia to Seattle, the city of boats.
You're never alone if you have dogs. And the dogs like to sit on the padded seats when they can. The striped chair comes inside each night after work is done on the porch.
I like the lap blanket, made from Bali rayon sarongs. (After tearing and sewing the strips together, I sewed the edges to another whole sarong, then zig-zagged the end fridges together. Easy peasy)
Even dogs want a break sometimes. The big dogs are "not allowed" in the house. So they flop on the porch and sneak parts of their bodies into the entry.
If one of us is coming down the street, it's all wags and watching - they are loyal creatures.
Friday
The neighbor is building a huge house. The footings for the supporting pillars are set on an old brick wall, 9' high. There's exposed rebar where the concrete and base meet. oh oh. Looking for trouble, we think. It will be nicely plastered over before occupancy.
On our walk, we check the fig trees. Last time we walked this way, the figs were small bumps. Now they are covered in figs, and some are reddening. Zoom on the tree trunk to see the masses of fruit.
I package cookies for the volunteers tomorrow. The cookie boxes are getting low - Ibu A will bake replacements next week.

Saturday
After a demanding week, we enjoy the afternoon with friends who volunteer to pack food for the hungry.
The reward is homemade pizzas. We socially distance as best we can ... What a relief to talk and laugh and eat together.
Oh oh! we switch seats. I look at my favorite tea mug on the other side of the table. I'm internally prompted many times to ask someone to pass it to me. But I don't want to interrupt the flow of conversation ... and down it goes onto the hard teras tiles.
W orders a few new ones. We've broken 3 so far. The cup is the perfect size for work and my go-to @20 oz: I fill it 5-6X each day. And at night, it's just the right size for peppermint tea before bed.

Sunday
The table is set. Curried sausages, mushroom chicken, and mashed potatoes are waiting. Doors are wide open back and front of the house so the wind can whistle through. Our friends will be here soon.
There's one thing in common. People. Around the table eating, teaching us new things, or relaxing on sofas and chairs.
Over the years, we've eaten with families and friends, hosted baby and wedding showers, and had neighborhood groups over. It didn't matter whether we were renting tiny apartments or owned a big house. We have pictures of guests hanging out with us in basement suites and falling-down-soon homes, as well as in the 2 houses we designed and built from scratch.

We carry the treasure of God (love and Good News) in earthen vessels, wrote the Apostle Paul. How could we keep his generosity to ourselves?

And think of all the fun we'd miss if we did! How could YOU share the hospitality of Christ this month?

Read more:
*Remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power. Deuteronomy 8:18

No one can receive anything except what has been given from heaven. John 3:27

Moravian Prayer: Sustaining God, help us to see that we can only know and share your grace when we abide in your love. May we be humble enough to know that the best that we can give comes only from you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment