Thursday, December 16, 2021

The questionable gifts of a loud whistle and leftovers

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Most of the day, I'm glued to my desk. It's a personal day of thanks. I wander around the yard when I get stiff, plucking lemons, spider plants, a gardenia, and avocados from the garden.

One gardenia bloom scents the whole bathroom. The background plant was growing along the fence a few weeks ago. I paid $5 for one of these in a Seattle nursery. Here, it popped up as a weed.

As dual citizens, we celebrate Thanksgiving twice a year: with Canada in October and with the USA in November. However, every month when the statement of partnerships is published, it is a day of thanksgiving for W and me. Today I get to write thank-you notes to those caring for people in Indonesia.

I admit to tearing up when I start to read the responses. People are generous and kind. What would we do without each other?

BTW: BIC and local friends are sharing a special Christmas Project: Bless Bandung 2021. It's one way of passing on God's generosity to us (and our Christmas bonuses) for a good cause: helping the poorest in our city. Join in and help if you can, wherever you are in the world.

Thursday 

W is still not feeling well, after Monday's food poisoning at a local restaurant. This morning, we do an early loop around the neighborhood with Gypsy. We find two big black picture frames discarded along the way. We drop them at the guard post until after the walk. The security guard laughs when W offers him a small tip for parkir (parking them).

Along the street, we admire the neighbor's flowers.

When they've bloomed, the berries are beautiful too.

Melvi and Alice take the poodles on the Thursday hike in the mountains. We don't send Gypsy hiking when we're not along: he tends to be selective in obedience. He only comes back from exploring the trail ahead when I whistle for him.

"Can you record your whistle so we have it on our phones?" the walkers begged while we were traveling abroad. "We shout and shout but he doesn't come back."

The whistle is loud. If you stand nearby, you'll be asked to plug your ears before I whistle at full volume. A phone would mute it, so it is no use recording.

From early childhood, my dad and I shared the "gift" of mouths shaped to whistle effortlessly. It came in handy in N America for calling children from playing at the neighbors, for calling our dogs, or getting the attention of a noisy group before a presentation. It was no big deal.

However, hardly anyone whistles in Indonesia and people don't respond to a whistle. There's so much ambient noise that no one pays attention. Traffic minders use a constant peep peep peep-ing with a handheld whistle while directing traffic. Also, whistling at a person is considered demeaning. I've learned not to whistle except to call the dogs. Our three know to come running.

I haven't been home to check on house prep and cleaning for a few weeks. Today's an unexpected catch-up day, for home and office. This tri-color berry from the back of the garden sits on my desk.

A closer look reveals their beauty.
When we get pictures of this morning's mountain walk, I'm glad we stayed home. The clay muck is deep, thick, and slippery on the  trail. The dogs come home filthy and happy. PakG washes Bailey down to white again. Cocoa, who is the color of mud, sheds the gunk from her coat within a few hours. The groomers come Saturday. Whew.

Friday

W's stomach is feeling better, a relief. We walk twice around the neighborhood loop (almost 2 miles) before getting to work in the office and at home. I am behind in podcasts: have some training ones I've stashed. This is my morning, I guess. W is figuring out how to upload Sunday videos online and in person for BIC. It's our last Gathering of the year - can't wait to see everyone.

This week, I'm taking a good look at the decor around the house. I want to enjoy it all before it's put away again for next year. The small tree in our bedroom has many memorable things on it.

I check the back of the main tree, too. I can spot handmade African baskets - favors from my brother's wedding day 2 decades ago, European heart ornaments, Philipino toys, greetings from years gone by, and more. Every year the trees get fuller and more special. I've tucked new photos and greeting cards into the branches this year.

For supper last night and lunch today, we make soup with leftovers found in the fridge. We mix pizza toppings, chopped fruit, and fresh vegetables from the organic farm. Stashed too long in the freezer, the cheese balls taste dry and tasteless after freezing. BUT put them in a strong broth and they fluff up to make delicious dumplings. Who knew!

Yesterday's broth was coconut chicken, left from lunch. Today we start with a beef/onion/tomato base. We top it with cooked rice and it's perfect. We sprinkle the last of the basil leaves on top just before serving. Yummy.

The intense thunderstorm starts at noon. It's a blessing to be dry and warm inside - though you'd be wet and still warm outside. It's one of the things we LOVE about the tropics - warmth. Up here in the mountains, it's rarely so hot that it's uncomfortable. Mind you, seven-plus years will acclimate you to almost anything.

I pour my third big mug of tea and settle into paperwork. Then it's onward ho -  to completing an easy craft that's been on the desk in my home office for two weeks. While it's drying, I listen to a new-to-me band, Mennonite kids Caleb, Joshua, and Bekah Liechty from "A Girl Named Tom." I like them.

Read more:

*If you will only obey the Lord your God: Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out. Deuteronomy 28:1, 6

*The Lord made the earth by his power, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens. Jeremiah 10:12

*[John the Baptist Prepares the Way for Jesus] The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God, as it is written in Isaiah the prophet: I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way—a voice of one calling in the wilderness: "Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him." Mark 1:1-3

*Jesus said, “Whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” Matthew 12:50

*By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command. ...Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us give thanks, by which we offer to God an acceptable worship with reverence and awe. Hebrews 11:3; 12:28

Moravian Prayers:  Creator God, you have given us an amazing inheritance. May we care for your creation in ways that honor the coming generations. Holy God, you surprise us. You fill us with wonder and we stand in awe. May we pay attention to this life you have given us—may we notice your presence, your movement, and your call.

Lord, we continue to prioritize the time you graciously give to us without considering your will. Help us, this day, to fulfill your perfect call, taking time to consider how best we can obey your charge to feed, comfort, and serve. In Christ, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment