Thursday, May 5, 2022

Sleep in heavenly peace

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Wow, it's quiet. We sleep. We wonder if there will be batches of firecrackers and extended chanting all week. But after an exuberant Idul Fitri on Sunday, last night's sounds are mostly natural not human. Yesterday I cleaned up after Sunday's porch gathering - the glass tables are wiped down, the pillows and seating are back in place.

Usually a helper sweeps and mops the porch daily but they're off. The birds are messy, scattering seeds on the porch tiles. That attracts wild birds to the porch. We live with constant chirping from our birds and the others. I like it but it drives people on Zoom calls a bit crazy.

I head for the neighbor's to toss a handful of fish food in the abandoned ponds. The pond fish are multiplying as usual. It's amazing how the world keep renewing itself, even when left alone. Maybe, especially when left alone.

At home, we just have to siphon 2-week-old water out of the fish bowls and replace it with drinking water. That's all the maintenance required, besides feeding the fish every day or two. It's no big deal to take a day off: they keep the algae under control and the plant roots clean.

That's not a lot of work, compared to the lights, filters, and heaters I used to own.

We have a lot of glass bowls with fish in them - though no official aquarium. If you want water plants, you have to add fish or anti-mosquito floats. I grew up with fish tanks so ... fish it is. Most were caught next door, including these swordtails.

Once in a while after a fishing trip, a tadpole makes it in, too.

W and I head to the office to record two weeks of talks for Sundays online. His phone camera keeps clicking off. I suggest using mine. (I remember when it was his latest and greatest gadget. ha)

Nope. He restarts his phone while I drink tea and water the plants on the office balcony. He and Angie will assemble the services in due time. I wrote these talks and W added edits. My work is done until we speak on site.

We often thank God that we work together. How does a pastor do everything? With us, one writes the script and the other edits before we record it. Still ... we have only one talk a week even if we present it twice (on site and online).

Growing up, pastors preached on  Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday night. Every week. Many of them just opened the scriptures and spoke from a rough outline or main idea. Still, visiting people, caring for the sick, and keeping attendees happy? And I remember many adults who were a critical crowd when I was a youngster. Whew. They had their work cut out for them - at a lousy salary, usually.

We bring home the flowers left in the hall Sunday. They're still fresh. I water them in the yard to refresh the floral foam - and then they stand in the sun for 2 hours. Ugh. I bring them in and they're still ... blooming away. I think I learned something new about how to make flowers last. Last week, I tempered them by soaking them for a day before arranging them.

I have no energy for art. Between trying to catch up on all the words (that sound the same) from last week's language classes and interrupted sleep, I think a nap is in order.

Thursday

We walk from our neighborhood instead of heading to the upper mountains. During mudik (the holiday week after Ramadan when people returner to their families), many people don't have drivers or helpers. (Angie's tracker map, below)

We decide to head down the mountain we live on, finding the trail along the river. We squeeze through a narrow 3'-high gap in the fence at one point to discover another trail. Good. Next time I take off my water backpack as I wriggle through. (Kristi's pic - I don't even pull my phone out on this walk.) 

I wear a long-sleeved cotton shirt, hoping it will be cooler than my techie one. Nope - I just about overheat as we climb uphill.

We stop at Angie's for "coffee," which turns out to be coffee and German tea, salami, and camembert cheese. Oh my. It's a dream for W and me. Memories of childhood foods! She sends some home, which we split between the 4 in the house. The dogs are thrilled to get the outer skin of the salami.

W and I take it easy in the afternoon. The portable bathtub, filled over 2 days and heated for 6 hours with a little water heater, is the perfect place to review language school vocabulary. There's no sense in taking a whole day off, is there? (though a steep walk is hardly time off... ha)

Read more:

*I am the Lord, I have called you in righteousness, I have taken you by the hand and kept you. Isaiah 42:8

*Behold, children are a gift of the Lord. Psalm 127:3

Jesus took a little child and put it among them; and taking it in his arms, he said to them, “Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.” Mark 9:36-37

*In Christ Jesus our Lord, we have access to God in boldness. Ephesians 3:12

Moravian Prayer: Dearest Lord, the sounds of new life in our church and in our families bring us joy and the weight of responsibility. Help us to welcome all of your children into our hearts as you welcome us into your heart. 

Righteous Lord, we truly appreciate the power of prayer. Open our ears to listen to your call to go into the world and share your love. Help us to be bold for you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment