Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Birthdays and sensory awareness

I'm a sensory person. I like the mild growl of the aquarium pump, the sound of someone's feet in the hall, and the hiss-hiss of the rain that starts today at suppertime. The dogs have eaten so they run for their crates and curl up.


Senses? I can't sleep with lights on. I cook by smell. I naturally surround myself with beauty - nature, art, kind people, and animals. W and I like to try new foods, too.

The exception is that, though I grew up as a musician in a musical household from age 4, I never play music unless it's techno-buzz or heavy metal for work focus. Music messes up the tunes and rhythms always running through my head.

A picture ledge lets you move art around. If you're a restless occupant like I am, it saves the house from becoming a pincushion of nail-holes. The new Bail birds look best with other bright paintings. That means moving every other painting. I like the new views in the end.

Fortunately, W is a gadget genius and general handyman. We agree that I dream things up and he builds them. After I assemble an IKEA chandelier,  I want to hang it in 3 places around the porch. He screws in the hooks. (I paint the hooks to blend into the ceiling first. Why else have a can of auto-paint in every color, if not for such emergencies? hehehe)

The chandelier has 4 candles and a central bulb. My goal is to light it without an extension cord. I want to rip out the electrical components inside. And I'm looking for an emergency bulb like those used for sconces and other "inconvenient" lamps. (The bulb charges in a regular lamp.)

"What's that?" W asks. "Never heard of it." But he finds the bulb, figures out where to buy it, and researches how to turn it on. He strips out the electrical components and rigs a tiny on-off switch (below) that short-circuits a remaining stub of wire. It works great!

We eat supper outside without the usual attack of mosquitoes. Between the four candles, the bugs stay away.

For supper, W orders an $8 (incl delivery) sample pack from down the hill. There are 3 kinds noodles, 3 appetizers, and a whole lot of fried wontons. We put a little of every kind on our plates and close the boxes. = Way too much food. 

The noodles, ordered at levels 1, 2, and 3 from a spice index of #1-9, meet our tongues as "Normal," "Hot Enough to Create Steam," and "Face on Fire!" I like spicy food but I can't imagine a #4 or #5, never mind a #9. We put the fire out with mango juice.
The whole house smells marvelous as evening falls. Last Sunday, Hela gave me a 2' (70cm) stem that unleashes its fragrance as soon as it starts to get dark. "One of my favorites to share with you," she says. I think it's called "Queen of the Night." Yummy.

Today Leo and Doris have birthdays. The team sings "Happy Birthday" to Leo on his 12th. (No leaking Doris' age, though.)

Since she lives in Europe, we wait for the day to send greetings. "It's considered unlucky in Germany to wish someone a happy birthday before the day," my brother informed me a few years ago. What!? We were traveling that year and anticipated his birthday. Not a good thing apparently.

Wednesday

Cultural question: do you harvest the fruit on your side of the fence when the tree is on the other side? "Yes, certainly," says a neighbor. But you have to clean up the tree once it's harvested. Ok. We can do that. There's a small clump of bananas ripening in the side yard. The helpers will share it with us.

The walk is beautiful today. The flowers I thought were white spires on the hedge are actually veined with green. 

And the neighbor's lilies are in bloom again. They put out flower heads a few times a year.

Less attractive but more useful are the dozens of chickens picking at the garbage along the street. The little chicks have grown up into busy hens and territorial roosters.

It's date morning so we go out for breakfast . We make unusually boring choices: pancakes and waffles to counter the spicy food of yesterday. After that, we call dear friends and family members.
I find a book that might interest our book group.

 "It's controversial," cautions one member. "Do you want to lead it next month?" Sure, why not.

The prolific orchid on the porch has 4 new blooms.
W and I walk out of the neighborhood to Baby Dutch for lunch. Sometimes it's cheaper to eat out than cook at home. Their specialty is Dutch Baby pancakes.
At the gelato place across the street, this multi-colored flower catches my eye.
So does this "Christmas tree" bloom - at 1' tall, it's one of the prettiest things around.
Vilo Gelato has a lot of places to sit: little houses and booths.
You can even climb up to the treehouse to eat. W and I split one scoop of Almond-Brittle flavor and skip the circular staircase.
The neighbor's wall is bright yellow at the bottom and dripping with flowers above.
Thursday
Our eldest grandchild turns 11 today. Happy Birthday, Miss K! One of the costs of living abroad is missing family milestones. We caught the first two birthdays and then flew away from Seattle July 1, 2014. We haven't been at her birthday since, one of our regrets.

11 is the most vivid childhood birthday for me. I got a pair of nylon stockings, a binder to write in, and a 5-year diary, among other things. I started writing seriously then, without thinking about it. I sometimes wonder - if I'd been handed paints and an art pad ...

Read more:
*The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you. Psalm 9:9-10

*You are my hiding-place and my shield; I hope in your word. Psalm 119:114

*The centurion answered, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only speak the word, and my servant will be healed.” Matthew 8:8

Moravian Prayer: Lord, we turn our hearts to you in praise for the safety of your shield. We know we are safe in your presence and we are thankful for your protection. Our lives are dedicated to you in all that we do: sharing your love for us with the world, knowing that we are not worthy of such great love. May our words speak your truth to all who can hear. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment