Monday, December 12, 2022

We're in hot water!

Friday, December 9, 2022

After the pictures are taken off the kitchen wall, W hoists the hot water heater into place. 

Art takes second place - the embroidered pictures from Vietnam bring back fond memories as I remove them. They go into the back hallway.

The tukang (plumber) is scheduled for lunchtime. The idea of hot water in the kitchen ... for the first time in 8 years? We gain an additional tap - a green plastic one. No elegance in this kitchen! I put a half-finished canvas on the wall to hide a nail hole.

The book group comes over to watch and discuss Pieces of a Woman, a prize-winning film. First, the living room is rearranged for comfort and convenience: we watch on the white wall. The sliders are open for air flow, too. These are not friends we'd seat on the floor.

The thunder starts to roll in as I make sandwiches and set the table. It's nice to take out the teacups for a small get-together. I look at the table with relief, actually. 
I miss few things (beside modern conveniences) from our life in Seattle. One of them is the monthly tea parties for 10 women that we hosted at our place. I usually knew about half the people around the table: I'd invite 5-6 friends, but the rest were women invited in the doctor's waiting room, the grocer's, or any other line. Today we all know each other.
The film is dark so I listen from the kitchen for much of it. I'm visual and don't need the images stamped in my head. The discussion is good as usual.

IbuS comes to work later and stays longer to help tidy up. When she's gone, W reminds me that it's the weekend - we have no help until Monday. We do the rest of the cleanup with hot water from a tap. Hurrah.

Saturday
W's in a study and heads into town for his usual appointments. Just after he leaves, I hear water running in the house. I go to explore. Did someone leave a tap on?
The big water storage tanks overhead in the utility courtyard are overflowing. "No big deal," W texts back. "That happened a few months ago, too. I'll take care of it when I get home." I close the all-house water valve outside and after a half-hour, the downpour subsides.

As I pull out the pantry box of dried fruit and baking goods, a herd of ants swarms me. Ah, they've managed to sneak inside a sealed bag of dried cherries from Trader Joes/USA. I knock them off my arms into the garbage along with the fruit. We can't leave any garbage bins open; trash bags are emptied daily.

The dogs lay themselves at my feet as I read and write. Gypsy hears the storms coming and paces on the porch. There are many "white elephant" gifts to wrap - I finish by late afternoon.

Sunday - the third week of Advent: JOY
A full day - the Gathering, lunch, and when we get home, people on The Porch.

Monday
After a broken night (up for 4 hrs), I'm ready to go at 6:00. IbuS brings down the last of the ornaments. The tree is decorated, the living room is done, and the lights are up.  Before the helpers arrive, the week is fully booked through Friday. It doesn't take long to set the table for the first event.
When I get onto the porch, Juno has been on all the tables overnight. The ornaments, candles, and wreaths are lying on the tiles. Muddy paw prints tell the tale. We've never had a counter-surfer and I must say it's an unpleasant trait. Every morning she's torn something apart. She also barks and chases small creatures at all hours of the night, disturbing the neighbors. 

Sigh, do we need to crate her at night? We'd prefer not to. Her days are full with 2-3 walks and a the big yard to run around and dig up.

Today's our big shopping day for tomorrow's team lunch and Wednesday's movie night. The shopping list is long with multiple stops and takes all afternoon.

Read more:
*Be strong, do not fear! Here is your God. Isaiah 35:4

*Human ways are under the eyes of the Lord. Proverbs 5:21

*The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God, as it is written in Isaiah the prophet: “I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way”—“a voice of one calling in the wilderness, ‘Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.’”

And so John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. John wore clothing made of camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.

And this was his message: “After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” Mark 1:1-8

*Mary said, “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.” Luke 1:38

Moravian Prayer: God of light, you blessed Mary, that she could bless the world. This Advent season, we celebrate the virgin birth of our Savior, who walked this earth to show us how to live. Continue to guide us, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment