Monday, May 1, 2023

That's just sick

Friday, April 29, 2023

A long walk sounds good. The dogs are always happy to be out. It's a busy day, getting ready for Sunday and talking with people.

My throat is scratchy and it gets worse during the day. Whaaat? noooo. Did I catch something in IKEA on Wednesday? Lots of people were coughing and touching stuff in the store.

We're being invaded by a rat that chews on the wood in the ceiling. There are big, medium, and small ants on the porch, in the house, and around the plants. W has a borax-corn-syrup mixture that attracts them on the kitchen counter but hasn't reduced the population. I get desperate enough to spray ant poison outside our room; hundred lie heaped along their trail. Once the household is back in rhythm, we expect that to settle down, too.

Saturday

I pass through the garden for grass heads from the pond and pink flowers from a hedge. One of each go into 11 bottles for IESB Round Tables tomorrow. PakG takes them to GG when he goes to set up tables. Our GG hosts are amazing and generous. We have been borrowing their round tables for months beyond the initial agreement. I'm so grateful for wonderful friends and partners.

As my throat closes up, Canadian Buckley's cough medicine is my friend. "Tastes terrible but it works," is their advertising slogan. No kidding. I brought Buckley's lozenges and cough syrup along from our last trip to Canada. I gargle with salt, with oil of oregano ... none of the natural remedies work today.

I finish writing a few newsletters, slogging through my brain fog - who knows what I reported? (oh oh) Good pictures, anyway. I schedule the enews to be sent out tomorrow night and Monday morning. As usual, I choose Sunday clothing and put out the shoes for tomorrow. My handbag is packed. Sundays, I dress and go. When you plan to be working at 7:00 a.m., you don't need to be making decisions about what to wear.

Sunday

But I'm so sick I can't go to the Gathering. I hang the skirt and blouse back in the closet and toss the shoes in under them. W speaks and leads while I stay home. I forget to remind W to do birthdays - we like to pray over people the last Sunday of their birthday month.

About 30 young adults show up for Hangout on our Porch. They take a pic partway through with the sweet goodies, celebrating Laurel's 25th birthday. Before they arrive, I arrange a few birthday candles on 2 trays of cookies, banana bread, and pumpkin pie. I can't join beyond a quick hi and spend most of the day holed up, resting and reading.
Monday
Ahhh, bad sleep due to a crushing headache and cold symptoms. I sleep for 1.5 hours, toss and turn for the next 5 hours. I check my watch 9:30/10:30/11:45/1:00/ 2:00/ 2:45 ... groan. I listen to music, hoping it will put me to sleep. No luck. I listen to scripture on YouVersion - 1 Peter through Revelation. I'm exhausted and sore, but not sleepy. I doze for 1/2 hr, am up for 2, sleep for 1/2 hr ... and give up before 5 a.m. Shower, dress, but let's forget about our steep neighborhood walk!

Today is another Red Letter day = government holiday: Labor Day. We just finished a government-mandated week off at the end of Ramadan. Wow. The driver, paid by the month, takes the day off. I'm happy to see our household helper arrive; she is paid by the working day. Yesterday's crew left dirty cups in the sink and leftovers on the counter. There are dishes in the sink. Several loads of laundry wait in the hampers. In general, the house is in order. I'm trying not to touch stuff.

After an early meeting, I cook oat groats (35 min! - wow, you have to think ahead ...), cut in a banana, sprinkle on cinnamon, and pour homemade oat-cashew milk over it all. Tastes good. Mid-morning, I take a nap and wake feeling almost human. Then it's time to read, write, and cook. W's in a study while I schedule the week.

My lunch is air-fried potatoes (no oil) with bean molé, green beans, and carrots. I've dropped 3 kg (6.5 lbs) in the 2.5 weeks I've been vegan. (Last time I was vegan, it took a few weeks to shed 10 lbs of post-college weight.)

W helps me clean the fish bowls on the porch after lunch, for the first time in 3 weeks. Fish care here is easy: scoop out the plants, siphon out the old water, add filtered water, and pop the plants back in. No lights. No filter. No worries. We feed the fish most days and they reproduce and swim happily. Somehow the fish population regulates itself. This Bali hand-blown glass bowl is over 2' (750 cm) tall.
Language learning - I listen to some kid-books with basic vocabulary. I'm not going to class tomorrow but one day builds on another. Another chore is planning a retreat in Bali for international coworkers. It's 9 months away, so time to get busy. I get initial rates, room options, and start to muddle through a schedule. W is going to have to help with details. He's our travel guru. 
Supper is Vietnamese spring rolls and soup sent by MJ. I cook pea soup for tomorrow - the counter has filled up with beans, seeds, spices, and grains. I need more calories so munch a power bar.
Apparently my intention to eat healthy has been underway for a while. I shop the big bin under the kitchen counter and cross things off my grocery list. Now to figure out where to store the ones we open, away from moisture and critters. I dislike a cluttered counter.
A short stroll around the neighborhood with Gypsy (big black dog) is just the thing I need. It's cool and breezy outside (82oF/28oC) with shade under the neighbors' trees. The wind makes me think there are thunderstorms on the horizon. Last night was one blast of light and sound after another.

Read more:
*How great are God’s signs, how mighty his wonders! His kingdom is an eternal kingdom; his dominion endures from generation to generation. Daniel 4:3

*Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us give thanks, by which we offer to God an acceptable worship with reverence and awe. Hebrews 12:28

Moravian Prayer: Dear Lord, help us remember that you built your kingdom on a firm, rock-solid, unshakeable foundation. We stand on that foundation, and nothing shakes us off our rock. We live and move and have our being in you, awestruck at how great your faithful love continues throughout all generations into eternal light and life.

We praise you for your wonderful creation and love, for you are the everlasting God of all our days. Our souls sing, “How great thou art!” Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment