Sunday, December 10, 2023

Transitions

Friday, December 8, 2023

There are big plans for the day. The best part is the first: a monthly Mastermind cohort of women in leadership. These women are the best "family in vocation" that I could imagine. I learn from them each time we get together. Today Susan from Singapore and I are delighted with our early morning time. Most are in the West, opposite us in the day. (Some are missing in the photo.)

My breakfast is comfort food from Keelee and #QuietWatersBakery, part of the mastermind. No matter what else I leave behind in Seattle, a dozen of these chocolate cookies come along in my suitcase to Indonesia.

Ibu Siti kneads out the kinks in my back and feet before a must-do-because-you've-hit-the-deadline chore. After clogging my head for weeks, the syllabus for next month's class is edited and sent off. My view as I finish is cheerful and bright despite the gloomy clouds outside and the mosquitoes that chase us off the porch.
Our friends prayed that God would prevent rain from drowning out movie night on Wednesday. Many people can't come when it does since the main transport is GoJek (motorcycle taxi) or their own bikes. Thunder rumbled in the distance during the movie but we had no rain, even after everyone was on their way home in late evening. That was a miracle.

When it rains, the porch gets wet and thunder drowns out conversation. Thank you! to those who prayed and thank God for answered prayers and a dry evening.

Today we're back to the seasonal pattern: before 3:00 p.m. there's a downpour. We send the workers home early to beat the rain. Up in the mountains, we get soaked but the water runs off. However, downtown and south Bandung flood when it rains like this.

You can't hear much since it's filmed through the window, but imagine the roar of drops cascading off trees, roofs, and pavement.
By the time I finish the syllabus in mid-afternoon, I've missed the monthly book club's meeting. They're reading and discussing Rejection, a book about a rebellion in the last last century in part of Indonesia. I learn so much about this country and its peoples when I'm able to go. At least some notes are shared on WhatsApp with those who have to skip the get-together.

Saturday
On the way out, we pray for this family who has lost their dad and grandpa, a gracious and kind neighbor to us and a respected Indonesian scientist in his time.
I host a few morning meetings to swap out roles on the team. As usual, it comes with fare-thee-wells and excitement for new opportunities. The chance to pet the cutest poodle puppy is a bonus.
W has a morning study and heads to a lunch meeting in town while I write and prepare for tomorrow's Gathering and team barbecue.

I find some silk stems in the Christmas boxes and a stick along the road.
I'm not sure which side I like best. The one is quieter.
I've been waiting to fold one of these Christmas trees. Ok but what a lot of work for a little tree!
It's time to write Christmas cards, too. I used to address about 100 during August and September. At this point, we're down to one big box that's done in December. Hmmm.
Sunday
It's a good day, and the topic of week 2 of Advent is "Peace." When things don't go your way and the adventure is hard (like it was for Mary and Joseph), do you give up or trust God? Is your heart resting in him?
We have our team lunch after and the food is excellent. It's a very hospitable group.
Josh is our Brazilian barbecue expert. We're celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas, and saying goodbye to three team members who are transitioning to other responsibilities. We'll miss them.
We clean up and settle in for a quiet afternoon.

Read more:
*Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.” 

With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. In that day you will say: “Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted. Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world. Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel among you.” Isaiah 12:2-6

*You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock. Isaiah 26:3-4

*The Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father’s only son, full of grace and truth. John 1:14

Moravian Prayer: Mysterious and majestic God, we long for the coming of Jesus, our Lord, with grace and glory. May your divine word live in our hearts, so that we may bear witness to your love for the entire world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment