Saturday, July 18, 2026
During a brisk walk, this sign catches our eye - we don't always understand people's tastes in Indonesia.
We enjoy time outdoors in eternal summer.

Chacha comes for breakfast tea. So good to see her and catch up! With company at the house, we feel like we're settling in, though just for the weekend.
Della and Daniel join us for lunch. There's almost no food in the house since we're off to a conference on Monday. We ask for another Indonesian's opinion on the new place that opened across the street. W and I enjoy the Indonesian tastes. And the company is wonderful.
Tirza arrives from Jakarta in late afternoon, staying over through tomorrow evening. She is the morning speaker at IESBandung -- and a dear friend.
Supper is at Nanny's. I'm not hungry but I order a mango pancake, which is pretty good.
SundayLunch at Nara's is flavorful. The roasted corn is a trend--spicey, sweet, and crisp.
Part of coming home is eating at Nara Park.

I hang out with Tirza until she leaves for the late train to Jakarta in the evening. W is tired but packs up and rests while we chat.
Monday - Happy birthday to K
Our oldest grandchild's family and friends hit the sunny lakeside with birthday activities and a picnic. What fun!
We're packed but I go to look for W to see if he wants breakfast in the last hour at home. Then we need to catch a train to the airport. W is standing still, not talking. His right side looks a bit frozen, which is the sign of a stroke. Oh oh! We call PakG to pick us up (5:30AM) and take us to the hospital emergency.
I call our area director to cancel the hotel. "Give it away to someone who can't afford a good room = NOT a VIP." Hopefully the room is a blessing to a coworker who needs a special lift. He says we can fly to Singapore or Bangkok if we need better treatment options.
The medical staff needs my signature on treatment and anything that costs money. We can either use our American /foreign insurance for exceptional care or accept whatever care is provided by Indonesian insurance "which is not as good," says the admissions clerk. We opt to use the foreign insurance we've been paying into for the past years.
The MRI scan shows a clot in the midbrain, which affects speech. W's motor skills recover and his face is no longer drooping. He just can't talk or write. Thankfully, he understands everything. We've never been good at games like charades but he has to motion for what he wants. We'll get better at this.
Della and Daniel drop by to say hello and pray for him. They're allowed in the waiting area but not in ICU, where W is taken after tests.
One of our sons starts the paperwork for insurance claims with the information we have. I head home to pick up items W needs. The hospital gives me a list: soap, toothbrush, tissues, etc. I need bedding and towels for myself.
The hospital wants family on site at all times. While I'm home, I microwave the weekend's leftover rice and rendang (spicy shredded beef) for lunch and head back to the hospital.
A guy waiting for info on his own family shows me where to sleep. He points out a cubbie with a big support pillar running down one side, "A bit of privacy," he notes. Good. It's mine. I drop my blankets and pillow in, then spend most of the afternoon and evening online, updating family and friends.
Families sleep overnight in one of a dozen cubbies along a central hall. The nooks are half-walled from each other and the waiting room so it's noisy. The sofas fold out for overnight stays. I have brought 2 fleece blankets, one for under and the other for over me.
Before bed, I run up and down 4 flights of stairs and walk around the hospital grounds. After a day of sitting, I need to move. By 7PM, my earplugs and an eye mask block out some sounds and most of the light. W also gets good rest.
Tuesday
At 5AM, the bells ring loudly. Wakey-wakey! Breakfast is at 6AM in the ICU of the Catholic hospital. W rests comfortably, able to eat and drink on his own. Doctors come by to check him in the ICU, while nurses monitor W's vitals. The team stabilizes the medications and markers.
I have to sign any time medical personnel give updates or talk to me. I take pictures of the paperwork, in case insurance quibbles later on.
Off the main lobby is "Waldemar's Cafe" but don't know where to find other food in the hospital.
When Tota and Teti drop by in the morning, she takes me on a tour of eateries. I've snacked on trail mix but not had a meal since lunch yesterday. Teti treats me to chicken-rice, a rice and beef sushi roll, and watermelon - delicious.
W is moved to a regular room in the afternoon.
Sanny meets me in the hall as I'm returning to the hospital from lunch at home and more stuff for W. We pray together.
I drop the bags in the new room, waiting for W to be transferred from ICU. "You have a friend waiting outside," says PakG. Yay - Martin and I get to catch up and pray together, too.
Late in the afternoon, several friends come by before supper arrives.
WednesdayIt's a quiet night with good rest and an early morning. We are far from the nursing station and check-ins on vitals are every 8 hours. Keeping an eye on things, we'll evaluate the level of care.
The organization immediately asked if we want W transferred to Singapore. Initially, quickly dissolving the clot was a priority. Depending on the therapy available, we'll go where he has the best chance for full recovery. Prayers are appreciated.
Read more:
* The Lord is righteous in all his ways and faithful in all he does.The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.
He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them.
The Lord watches over all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy.
My mouth will speak in praise of the Lord. Let every creature praise his holy name for ever and ever.
* Now as he was approaching the path down from the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to praise God joyfully with a loud voice for all the deeds of power that they had seen. Luke 19:37
Moravian Prayer: Patient God, forgive us for requiring that you give us signs and miracles as evidence before we embrace belief. This communion with you, through the prayers of our hearts, is the purest, most loving miracle of all. We pray all of this in your name. Amen.
let me know if you ended up in Singapore -Susan
ReplyDeleteOh goodness!! You and W are much in our prayers and thoughts, dear friends. May our God’s peace sustain you and His healing hand rest upon Wally! We love you! Don & Jodi
ReplyDeletePraying for you both.
ReplyDeleteWe are praying!!!
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for you both.🙏
DeleteThank you for the update! Praying!!!!
ReplyDeleteWow! What a journey. Praying for W
ReplyDeleteUr both always in our prayer.. Speedy recovery...
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for you both
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for you everyday. Love you both. May you experience a miracle, and may the Lord give you wisdom and favor.
ReplyDeleteI'm just now seeing this. You will be in our prayers. Bill and Virginia
ReplyDeleteDuane and I are praying for you both. Praying specifically that Waldemar will receive the best care and will recover well! Duane & Eileen Cohrs
ReplyDeleteFamily is praying!
ReplyDeleteWe were shocked to read of W's stroke so soon after we just sat under your wonderful teaching at GBC. We can be reassured that God was not suprised. He allows what he allows and we know he can be trusted in all things. I love the support of your church and students coming to surround you. Wow! How beautiful that they all come to pray with you. We are praying here in Montana as well!
ReplyDelete