Saturday, August 8, 2026
73 years ago, my parents were married in an immigrant church in Winnipeg, Canada. I remember their enduring love and affection. From her teens, Mom was determined to have a marriage of sustained friendship and intimacy, unlike old couples who hardly had anything to say to each other. She and Dad kept their promise to love and cherish. We kids grew up in a loving home. Dad's been gone 5 1/2 years. We miss him like it was yesterday.

W installs a bell at the gate. Most of his purchases are made online: hardware, gear, supplies for volunteers, and even food. Delivery ranges from free to $5 or $10 for big items. Motorcycle taxis and delivery services are the main ways people and goods are transported in the city. Hiring a small pickup costs more: up to $60 for the whole day, including help from 2 strong-backed movers.
When the dogs know they're not coming on a walk, they watch us leave.
Then they scoot to the gate and wait for our return.
We go into the Padma Hotel a few blocks away. It's one of few 5-star accommodations in the city, though not expensive by Western standards. Friends of our have kids and have stayed here before. A staff member gives us a tour of the newly renovated property.
At the bottom of the hill, they're building an adventure park, whatever that is. The tour guide says, "There will be a 1 km (2/3 mile) trail," pointing to where we used to tramp through the forest.
The family pool is full, though the adults-only one has room to spare.
On the way back, we enjoy the new blooms. The leaves may be dusty in dry season but the flowers are fresh.
I do research for an upcoming book, sitting on the beautiful Project Porch. Some students email in their preferred topics for the doctoral class - approved!
I'm grateful each day to steward this space with W. The sun's out. In the cutout between kitchen and porch, the solar fountains bubble to aerate the fishponds (repurposed garden pots.) We don't need aquarium filters or artificial lighting. Rain refreshes the water, while tropical fish keep the mosquito population down.
I write a few book reviews and make chicken and vegetable wraps for lunch.
Sunday
There's a neighborhood futsal (soccer) tournament going on.
A crowd watches young elementary boys kick the ball on the small triangle that is the park.
The trees tower overhead on the loop.
Breakfast with DrW, a neighbor in our old neighborhood, is a delight. She is an interesting professor and scientist. Plus she's just plain nice and good company. It's her first time at the Indonesian restaurant across the street. We all enjoy the food.
Mom and I trade videos through Will and Lina, who have arrived from Europe. They're sitting with her in the care home for the next 3 weeks.
This morning, our dear friend's younger brother passes away from cancer. There are no words of consolation or comfort beyond, "God's presence is with you right now. We love you."
May God sustain and hold the family in his arms. Pray with us for C and her family, would you? W and I go to the funeral home mid-afternoon, arriving home before dark. We greet family and friends, share condolences, and pass on a heaped plate of the chocolate cookies Carlos loved.

He liked kids and animals, too. He was hoping to visit with our dogs today. Instead, he's gone to be with Jesus. Who knows what delights and health he is enjoying there? Since the Bible speaks of lions and lambs getting along, there may be puppies, too.
Someone gave me a batik jacket. I tear off the tags and wear it. Batik is the formal wear of Indonesia. Afterward, we take a Grab taxi "straight home" through the hills and up our mountain.
Supper is crackers, hummus, and borscht. So good. Papaya cubes soaked in lemon juice are dessert.
Monday
The morning is cool; I need a furry sweater to ward off shivers. The weather guy says it's 74oF/23C in the city but there's no way it is that warm up on our mountain. The entries to village neighborhoods are being decorated for Indonesia's Independence Day on Aug 17.
W and I walk and talk. I know it could have been me - sitting at the funeral home if God had allowed W to have a severe stroke. We are grateful for each blessing. We pray for C's family, thank him for his goodness, and pray over neighbors and friends.
Our meetings are at 7:30 and 9:00am. I hear a scream of delight when W greets the speech therapist with "Pagi!" (good morning). She's surprised and pleased by his progress. Ps and Bs were not possible last week. He's tired when they finish the day's exercises. He mostly communicates by writing.
I spend the morning cooking. I try a new recipe: energy balls. That's a good name for them: each one takes 5 minutes of energy to make = too costly. I season vegetables, potatoes, and tempeh with a packet of green curry spices we bought in Thailand a few years ago.
It's a HOT HOT HOT lunch - hot-spicy that is. Indonesians have separate words for "heat:" they say panas for hot temperature and pedas for hot-spicy food. They use hot peppers to season many dishes.
We are honored by an overnight visit from C's family, who are not ready to go home after the farewell service. They've brought supper along, and as night falls, we discuss the hope we have in Jesus. Scripture assures us that our salvation is paid in full at the cross and resurrection. There are no further works or obligations owed by the family to ensure God's favor. Carlos is healthy and whole: "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8)."
Tuesday - today would have been Dad's 94th bday. And it's Uncle Erich's 95th.
I send a video to my favorite (and only living) uncle, living in a care home in Winnipeg. W and I eat early and walk.
When we get back, I set out a casual breakfast for our guests. I'm always surprised by God's provisions, just when we need them. There's banana bread, various buns from the funeral, and fruit plus a few choices of tea.
After sitting on the Porch and chatting about heaven and destiny, our guests join us on a loop to get some fresh air. A little tented pickup catches our eyes, the cab barely as tall as I am. (The SUV ahead of it is about nose-height.)
On the way home, we stop for Indonesian food (Ayam Pepes Balarasa). Yum.
I put out sweet and salty snacks at home and withdraw to rest. W pops his head into the room to say he's in AFib again. (Yay for IWatches that measure such things.) He heads to the hospital's emergency room to see what's going on. He leaves me behind to say goodbye to our guests. I send a fresh banana bread along with them.
PakG takes care of the hospital paperwork. He has to leave his ID with the nurses because he uses W's credit card to pay a $250 deposit for care. W stays overnight for observation, but declines my offer to come in. His usual corner on the chaise is empty. No curious professor is reading here tonight.
Wednesday
Juno and I walk a few miles, expanding the loops because I don't know if W will be up to an evening walk. He has the presence of mind to cancel the speech therapist. With no lower-tier room open, W has been put in a single VIP room with its own bathroom. It's not that exciting but at least it's clean.
The doctor comes by first thing. She orders blood tests and an EKG (which check out normally) before he gets visits from nurses and the pharmacist. Prayers appreciated that this gets taken care of.
Dr Hendy drops by to say hello on his way to some meetings. We pay the additional fees at administration, sign papers, and get a rundown on meds and care. PakG asks for his ID card back at the nurses' station. We are "out of jail" and home by 11AM.
I make a beet and vegetable stew for lunch on the Porch. We drink in the midweek quiet at the Project. While the staff washes and irons bedding, our other houseguests are hard at work. The dogs bravely patrol the yard against cats and squirrels.
We reward ourselves with a tiny square of nutty homemade chocolate before it's naptime for our weary souls. Feels good after my 4.5 hours of sleep. I doubt W got much more. My dad always napped on the sofa after lunch. I've forgotten what a treat it is, though I took an afternoon nap during all the years that I was raising our kids.
Danny and George drop by the Porch for conversation, tea (with milk, since George is Scottish,) and baking.
Read more:
* Jesus spoke to the disciples and said, “Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.” Matthew 14:27
* See, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth, I tell you of them. Isaiah 42:9
* The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man; the field is the world. Matthew 13:37-38
Moravian Prayer: Wise Gardener, thank you for continually sowing good and new seeds in this world. Thank you for never giving up on us, your seedlings. May we follow your example of sowing good and new things to make your world, your harvest, more abundant. We pray this in your name. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment