Sunday, September 20, 2026

Understanding the present through the past

Wednesday, September 16, 2026
We're watching for the pop-up pink car around the loop. It's been parked in at least 3 different places. For a few weeks, one like it (only pinker, if that's possible) sat on the side of the road. It was covered up with plastic for a while, and then it disappeared. Life here is a mystery.

One monthly meeting of international leaders has moved to 5AM. It's not a night with a lot of rest. After waking at 4:10, I decide to snooze. My alarm doesn't go off. I miss the beginning of the conversation. Grrr. After we log off, I send Mom a video hello. Well, I send it to Sandi, who oversees her care and passes it on.

W and I love sitting on the Porch in the morning, praying and eating breakfast together.  I cook apples and pears, and make a nuts-and-seeds porridge. W has put a lot (a lot!) of chia seeds into the juice so it is a thick pudding. We look up whether you can eat "too much" chia. It's possible but unlikely. Every morning, we pull out the overnight juice-and-chia jar from the fridge and have a half-cup with breakfast. Our cardiologist suggested it as a food substitute for blood thinners. Stroke patients should also take meds, he says. W goes for both.

W is improving day by day. He has speech therapy at 9, while I prepare for the Book Group meeting next week. I don't have a copy of the book, but Amy loaned me hers yesterday. I have to finish Theo of Golden, a book recommended by several friends. I read Amy's book today and return it by mid-afternoon so she can take it on her travels tomorrow.

This insider's account of the 1960s military coup in Indonesia explains much of what we observe. We have wondered about the ongoing role of intellectuals: the readers, the well-educated, and the articulate groups who forged the nation after Dutch colonialism. We know Indonesian scientists and teachers but haven't met many authors, poets, and philosophers.

In most societies, there are rulers, their advisors (scholars/philosophers), warriors, and peasants. It is unpopular to admit that most of us are worker bees, but that seems normal in stable kingdoms.
While the sun is high, the air is still. Rain is predicted in a few days, which would be a relief. The clatter of capri shells on the Balinese mobiles at the front entry and the ting-ting of the Porch chimes signal winds brushing across the mountains morning and night. 

I like the memories FB tosses up. Today, there's a photo of a teaching seminar we hosted for local educators (thanks to Korrie Taylor), an inquiry on how we kept from having "helmet head" when biking to work in Seattle (run your fingers through your hair when you get to work - ha), an alumna asking about German high foreheads, another alum exclaiming on the presence of God during suffering, 2 dog pics, and a nanotank saltwater setup. Pretty random bits of personal and professional history, going back 18 years.
W and I are tired but it's too early to turn in. We head outside walk a few thousand steps around and up the hill. Firetrucks pass us, still trying to extinguish the garbage fire on the upper hillside. The big dogs are happy to trot along with us.

The house is still being put in order after last week's guests. IbuSumi has found time to bake a loaf of seed bread so that is supper. 
Thursday
We're still not hiking but have a long neighborhood walk with the creatures. Last week, I was thinking about our two old dogs, who may not live much longer. One walks with us, but only when his arthritis isn't too bad. The labradoodle is 11 but loves walks and long sprawls on the terrace. Should we look for another poodle next year? I ponder whether and when to contact Lizzie, the breeder of the wonderful dogs we rehomed. Maybe one of hers will be ready for retirement. I commit it to prayer. "God, whenever," and forget about it.

Someone offers me 2 free dogs that he purchased from Lizzie as puppies. He lives in Jakarta (3 hours away) and is moving out of the country. He sends me photos of the dogs, their papers, and their vaccination certificates. They're gorgeous and healthy. "They are like my children, not pets." Well, they're pets here, though we love them.

The standard poodle is as big as 2-yr-old Anton. K's dogs are 6 years old so will be more settled. The doodle is the daughter of our labradoodle Juno. I'm interested in the standard, but I was considering next year. What are the chances? Weird.

"I will bring them to Bandung to see if you are a good home." Hmmm. I WhatsApp friends to see if anyone is interested in rehoming the labradoodle. I am often a conduit rather than the final destination for incoming blessings. W rolls his eyes but doesn't say no. Yet. I guess we'll meet up; hopefully I can raise interest from others.

We return our dogs to the yard after the walk and head to #NaraPark for a date breakfast. Beside our table, a 7'/120cm hedge flaunts false-bird-of-paradise blooms.
I order a hotpot with rice noodles. The noodles have steeped too long in the broth and have clumped together. The taste is good after I untangle the mass. Yeah, I prefer my usual mie rica (spicy noodles).
By the time the workers leave, the house and yard are back in order. We are ready for the next crowd. Let's see who God wants to bless at the Project. We've had several inquiries about private retreats since last week's group left.

Most local people aren't readers, but we store our books on the shelves. Sometimes people borrow them, though I seldom get the books back. The 6 sections of the dining room shelves mix function and ornament: vases, cups, plates, and serving pieces are interspersed with books, candles, and art.
Friday
Is this potted plant a coffee tree? It's similar to what we see in the mountains, where entire tea plantations are being ripped out to make room for coffee. 

"Indonesia is the world center for coffee." It's yesterday's bold claim by a local.
Walking to the meeting place for the WHW (women who walk), this elegant petal catches my eye. Dozens of pinks hang on a tall tree beside the street.
Seven of us start down the hill. A block from our gate, I zip back inside home to swap out of my Merrill sandals. The sole is flapping and coming off. A hazard of this climate and walking is that our shoes don't last long. Most often, the sole separates from the footbed. I grab old Nike trainers and off we go. They're neon pink and blue, 10 years old. 
"From behind, you look like a tourist," exclaims one walker who is near the back of the pack. Is it my shoes? The wide-brimmed hat? The long strides? I forget to ask. We cross a few bridges that wouldn't pass a civil engineer's inspection. They hold up just fine so we take photos on it. When bridges break or wash away, they're rebuilt the same way.
We stop at a student food court (OBC) and descend to a friend's Korean restaurant. It isn't open for another half hour, but the server makes the drinks we order.
Around the corner from OBC is a Dutch-style restaurant with an artifact wall for selfies. "Looks Dutch for sure," says my friend in the USA, who immigrated from the Netherlands to the USA 50 years ago.
The servers wear little caps and ruffled aprons, apparently Dutch style. I've never before seen a historical European lace cap pinned on top of a hijab (kerudung). 
Most of the menu isn't ready to serve yet. They order deep-fried bananas and fried tofu as a midway snack. Do you like deep-fried foods? Seems oil is always heating in Indonesian kitchens.

It's a nice pause before the last hill to our starting point.
The ladies relax on the Porch for cookies and coconut water, ordered by Alice for us all. Then we invite Waldemar and Reuben to eat with us at a restaurant across the street.

W and I take one more walk around the neighborhood. People used to argue when I said, "We're getting older," in our 50s and 60s. Not any more. They agree. haha

Today's log is16,000 steps and 14 flights. We are grateful for vigor, the ability to run steps, and sustained energy in the heat. It's 85F/30C and muggy. Helps to maintain the same weight and keep mind and body active, that's for sure. 

For supper, I fill spring roll wrappers with leftover chicken and vegetables, roasting them in the air fryer for 15 minutes. Too long, but tasty.


Saturday
The morning is quiet and normal. I'm reading another book about cultural revolt, equally heartbreaking to Tuesday's memoir about Indonesia in the 1960s. This novel is about Romanians living under the Ceauşescu dictatorship of the 80's and 90's. It's unimaginable what people can endure. It's described as "a historical heart-pounder" (Wall Street Journal). Agreed.
W cleans the very dirty whiteboards used at the Saturday get-togethers. I write a note at the top of each: "Wipe clean after class." When they leave it dirty (barely wiped off) each week, the accumulation turns the boards grey. 

Sayaka comes to work with W on facial function. He makes leaps in clarity of speech after each session with her. I send a banana bread along for her family. An abundance of gifted bananas from Veronica allows us to share. The volunteers today will enjoy a loaf for their post-session snack, too. 

We welcome almost 100 kids plus to the afternoon's English conversations. We smile as we listen to them chatter together. Later, they walk or zoom off, chattering like little birds.

Read more:
The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Psalm 9:9

* Bless the LORD, O my soul, and do not forget all his benefits. Psalm 103:2

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.


Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. 

 

On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:9-21

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress. James 1:27

Moravian Prayer: Mighty God, our refuge in times of trouble, strengthen us to serve those in need with humble hearts. Let our faith be lived through love, caring for the oppressed and vulnerable, and by reflecting your mercy and justice in all we do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment