Saturday, January 31, 2009

True Greatness

“Your dreams and visions for the future don’t matter. Only God’s will for you does.” Ronald was a soccer star at Northwest. He introduced himself to fellow alumni at the reunion lunch. Bluntly, he told us how his students dreams of recognition and up-front leadership had never come true. Instead, he serves the neediest members of society. He spent six years among the poor in the jungles of the Philippines before working with the homeless at a mission in downtown Seattle.

“I had to leave my own dreams behind to do what God would ask of me. God has led in ways I did not expect or seek out.” He has gained no recognition or fame. He hasn’t become wealthy or powerful. But he is happy and making a difference for those without power or fame themselves.

That is true greatness.

Read more:
*Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever. For great is your love toward me; you have delivered me from the depths of the grave. Psalm 86:11-13 NIV

*"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one." John 10:27-30 NLT

*For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment