Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cold but sunny out there

I headed out in the sunshine this morning, bundled up as though I was hitting the frigid streets of Winnipeg. Long lined trench coat. Fleecy suede boots. Ski gloves. Wool hat. Scarf. Even the dogs had double fleeces on. The thermometer read 25o.

When the sunshine hit my face, I took off my gloves. Whatever the temperature was on the official chart, it felt like 50o on hands and face. I was thrilled to be in the cold.

Life is like that, too. When God's light and hope shine on our faces, challenges feel more bearable. Sometimes our struggles even seem to diminish.

On FB, someone asked, "What has made you grow in your spiritual life?" Friends offered all kinds of answers, including accountability, silence, solitude, and spiritual disciplines.

For me, I grow by comparing life with and life without God. Basking in God's love, it's easier to care for others and bear our own burdens. We grow as we are filled with the Spirit, bringing to life qualities of care and neighborliness above and beyond human capacity.

Who needs your attention and sunny disposition today?

Read more:
*I will bless the LORD at all times;
         His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul shall make its boast in the LORD;
         The humble shall hear of it and be glad.
Oh, magnify the LORD with me,
         And let us exalt His name together. Psalm 34:1-3 NKJV 


*But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. Galatians 5:22-26 NIV

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I really cannot imagine having life here on earth without God. And, indeed, the light always banishes the dark and makes everything better. Sandra

    ReplyDelete