Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Puzzling through the new culture

I sometimes have a hard time figuring out what the Yahoo headlines mean (translated from Indonesian). Can you figure these out?


How about this one?

Or this?

Sometimes I think I get pretty close to understanding but other times I'm plainly off track! Word orders, alternate meanings that get translated strangely, and not knowing what's going on make for funny reading.

Sunday, August 10

I'm home resting when W bursts into the flat. He hasn't been gone more than a half hour. He was on his way to the transport company to arrange our trip to Bandung, phone in pocket. When he stood up up from his seat on the bus, his pocket had been picked and his IPhone was gone. The thief immediately turned off the locator so W can't find it with my phone tracker. He puts it in lost mode, wiping data and programs.

W texts my number to his phone. If someone buys it and tries to use it, they will have a way to contact us to let us purchase it back. As is, it can be hacked for parts, but it can't be used. (Needless to say, I've kept my returned phone in view since its return!)

We relax together for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment