Saturday, December 6, 2014

What 5 things would you add to an empty jar?

Over a week ago, I ran across an interesting idea. What if my life today was a blank slate or an empty jar? If I took out everything in my life and refilled it only with things that are absolutely necessary to me, what would I choose?

W and I had a long drive ahead of us so we discussed our top 5 non-negotiables. As you read our short-list, let me challenge you to consider the top 5 things you can't live without.

W and I had the same list, except for #3:
  1. God. He's not a cliche or the answer we "should" give. He is central to us. His love is overwhelming. Encompassing. How could we live without knowing our sins are forgiven and gone, day by day? That his constant care surrounds us?
  2. Each other. Far away from familiar things, our relationship is more important than ever.
  3. Our essence. No matter how we'd try to conform to others' wishes or plans, this would remain unchanged. Since we were kids, W and I have been intensely curious, learning, moving things around, and absorbing life. We teach and mentor to share our delight and appreciation to God. 
But the way we engage people and the world is distinct:
*He values knowledge: "HOW? WHY? WHAT?" His quest to know (theology, how things work, places, etc.) means he's always inquiring, acquiring, and exploring facts and procedures. He loves to pass on what he learns. He often says, "What I love most is learning about God and talking about him with friends."

*I value beauty: "WHO? WHERE? WHEN?" Looking at the hearts and talents of people, this big wide world, and the creative process of life, I savor beauty (not just "prettiness"). I love to draw out the possibilities of God-with-us and God-among-us. I like connecting people, resources, and ideas so they're more than the sum of their parts. Entering a room, I automatically wonder, "Who / what belongs together?"

    4. 5. We had a hard time ranking two final things. They are so entwined that there's no hierarchy (since our kids have grown up and moved out). One is our family and friends - how we love you! 

But we have left most of you behind to engage in the other: serving God. We used to sing, "Where he leads me I will follow," and so we've done. We're exploring how that service will look in the future on our adventure of faith.

If you had to choose 5 things - anything at all, without considering what others would think or how they might judge you, what would you put in your jar? Share your list in the comments below.

Read more:
*Boaz said to the reapers, “The Lord be with you.” They answered, “The Lord bless you.” Ruth 2:4 ESV

*In the Lord my heart trusts; so I am helped, and my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him. Psalm 28:7 ESV

*Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.” Luke 1:46-47 ESV

*John wrote: Peace to you. The friends send you their greetings. Greet the friends there, each by name. 3 John 15 ESV

Moravian Prayer: Holy One, you know and call us by name and pour out your blessings upon us. We give thanks today for the friends and loved ones who share our journeys of faith. 

Let all that we are give praise to you, our Savior! May our thoughts, words, and deeds reflect our thankfulness to you, our God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment