Monday, November 21, 2016

Home sweet home

At a friend's house
What does "home" mean to you? Is yours a base from which you launch? Is it your sanctuary when you come home? Your joy or a chore? A place to energize or relax? It may be all of these things.

I found a quote in Rue Magazine that resonated with me immediately. Those of you who live abroad or are travelers will understand:

"When you are traveling your whole life you are in situations where you are constantly taking it all in - new customs, new languages, new food, architecture, and style. It's really about being influenced, but your home is the only place where you can really exteriorize your personality, your inner world. For me, home is a place that feels representative of me and where I can be close to the people I care about." (Victoria de la Camara)


Friends at our house
We have people at our house most days of the week. And we enjoy it. Last week, we put up our Christmas decorations in anticipation of the season with friends. This week, I hope to finish the baking and other preparations - while we have guests from Canada and Singapore with us.

Sundays after church, we eat lunch with an ever-evolving group at a community center not far from our place. Then we come home to rest before the week begins again.


I confess that I often sigh in anticipation at the thought of being in heaven with God some day. Oh, how wonderful it will be to be in his Presence with the family of faith. Then we'll truly be home sweet home.


Read more:
*Great are the works of the Lord; they are pondered by all who delight in them. Psalm 111:2 (NIV)
*Uphold me according to your promise, that I may live, and let me not be put to shame in my hope. Psalm 119:116
*Be still, and know that I am God! I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10
*Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these. Luke 12:27
*May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23
Moravian Prayer: Heavenly King of kings, help us to be still and know that you are the reigning King of our lives. Bless us this day, O Lord, we pray and forever keep us in your love.
Father, your works are great! You constantly show us that you are with us in all that we do. Help us to stop worrying and to put our hopes and fears in your hands, O God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment