Friday, October 26, 2018

A little snap of paradise

Friday, October 26, 2018
It seems like weeks since I wrote the last post on Tuesday. I spend Tuesday on my weekend talk and Wednesday morning working in the office with Reza.

Thursday
Tembi and I join the walk in the hills. While we're gone, two gals wash our wool IKEA rug on the porch and hang it to dry over the hedge. It's been 2 years since we did it. With rainy season almost here and downpours already coming in the afternoon, we need to get the major cleaning out of the way before everything starts to mold.

W and I stuffed that rug into a suitcase on the way back from a visa run to Singapore a few years ago. It's worn well, though we found it in IKEA's clearance section (@75% off).

Which style do you prefer - with or without a rug?





We've had rain over the past weeks, but no enough to soak the ground. The hiking trail is not as dusty as usual but it is still dry enough to be slippery. We're happy to have walking poles along, especially on the long downhills.
 We meet an older couple carrying sticks they've cut from the forest.
Some men are loading freshly cut bamboo - 30-40' long poles (10-12 meters) from one truck to another.
Petra and I find some frangipani branches that had been trimmed and tossed into an orange orchard. We bring a few shoots home.
We cheat a bit, going up the mountain. The cars drop us 2/3 of the way up to Gunung Batu. Thanks, Veronica! Good thing - my knees are sore; I hurt them a few weeks ago and was hoping that had cleared up.

Everything is being built up. There's a new pillar, a flag, and a plaque on the final ridge. Someone is making it "a destination." Most of the places we used to hike for free have been bought up by concessions. Now we have to pay to see nature.
With our lazy uphill, it is a 4 miles hike to the cars. Tembi and Alice stop off at the Bird and Bromeliad Park to see the big parrots and various birds tucked into the gardens.

Lunch is at Dr Hanna's and Alice's Airbnb, Raben House. Don't they have a beautiful courtyard? The house wraps around it.
The food's enak (tasty), the surroundings are peaceful, and the friendships wonderful.
Tembi and Dr H are working on a project. Later, we enjoy the evening study at our place, led by Alice.

Friday
It's a a treat to work in the quiet office on Friday mornings. I take the dogs with me and they lay down to nap most of the day. However, they bark up a storm every time someone walks by. That will take some training.

It is great to have Della stop by - she's prepared wonderful food for both Community Dinners so far, and that's become a passion of hers. Cool to hear her heart.

From several mosques, the Friday chants at noon mean it's time to go close up and work from home.

This week, I've handed in the grades from my classes. Dusted off a few things on my desk. I read Fascism by Madeline Albright in preparation for our book club meeting next week, too. What an interesting view on life and politics. I don't agree with much beyond the facts - but the advantage of academic writing is that the researcher can draw her/his own conclusions from the same observations.

Dr H and Tembi have been working on a charity proposal most of the week. They're back home by late afternoon. The bean soup I make for supper is ok, not great. It's spicy! but hits the spot. It feels cool outside: at 75o (23C), I wear long sleeves to keep warm.

Read more:
*My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26
*That night the Lord stood near Paul and said, “Keep up your courage!” Acts 23:11
Moravian Prayer: All-powerful God, you fill our hearts with hope and courage. With your help and guidance, we can accomplish great things. Thank you for being our strength and support in everything we do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment