Friday, November 16, 2018

Makassar and meetings galore

I need pictures to remember the last 2 weeks. W begins recovery mode after travels, but is only home long enough to repack.
November 8-11
Tembi's off to her next destination: we've learned so much from her. For the last 2 weeks, she has a flu bug - but never complains. What a trooper!
Meanwhile, W and I travel to Makassar (an island slightly north of us), where we connect with Tim and Doris in their beautiful coastal city.
The guesthouse is a short walk along the canal from the main house. Fishermen gather brackish-water seaweed from the bay, a traditional job with a modern backdrop.
Doris is setting up an English library system for neighbors. There are a few associates around - it's fun to get to know coworkers.
I feel inspired by Doris, who already has her Christmas decor up. W sets up a better internet in their house, and of course we have a lot of fun - Doris is an amazing cook.
We also eat at a few local pop-up restaurants in the neighborhood.

There are all kinds of "normals" in the world: look at this motorcycle pickup truck, spotted on a street nearby.
The flight home home is uneventful - and happily only one plane. W eventually finds a taxi at the airport (the driver is off) and we're at our gate with a triple-the-usual-fee. (For foreigners, negotiating the amount is okay but he's too tired to hassle.)

Monday
We were away for yesterday's farewell prayer for Caleb and Roxy, but see them this morning for their final study. We take a funny picture among all the serious ones - this is such a great group.
We're at the BIC office as usual. I start December BIC enews and wrap up a few updates. Sandy left us a tree when she and Terry returned to Canada; it looks "just right" on the little table in the office.
Sunday-Monday
W and I speak together - and have a few more meetings before Sunday is done. Monday starts early - and goes late.

Tuesday
After working in the early morning, I head to the arisan (women's group) for an early lunch.


W and I head for the nurseries above Bandung on a date. I fill up my tired heart at the orchid shops: 5 for about $25 - that's a cheap date, for sure. Can't wait until they all bloom.
Wednesday
W has lunch with Andrew while I putter around the shops for an hour. For supper, we're happy to meet friends from movie night at a Chinese restaurant downtown. WuJin chooses delicious dishes.



Thursday
I've skipped the walk in the hills since W came back in October. I miss time outside, though we walk the dogs for 1-2 km every day. I even quit that this week.
While W is on the walk, I decorate the house for Christmas. By the time the study arrives in the evening, the downstairs tree and room is finished.


Friends come for a visit in the morning; I invite them along for the walkers' lunch. Several people know them already.

Friday
It feels so nice to get up to a festive house. But my heels and knees are very sore. I'm trying to stay off my feet as much as possible - only walking 2-4 km/day - but they don't get better. In fact, they're sore enough that maybe I should get to the podiatrist (foot doc). Veronica, a fellow hiker, recommends someone nearby.

Doctor T says pressure should land on my arches, but instead, I'm striking the ground with my heels. Now I'm supposed to walk with Keens inside the house. Ugh. We always take our shoes off. (We wash a pair of sandals for use inside.)

The doc takes ultrasounds of both feet and knees. They're inflamed, with some kind of infection going on, so I wasn't imagining the pain.

Since we'll be walking a lot next week, W talks me into a cortisone shot in the most painful  heel. I ask the doc for ice to dull the heel where he's going to poke the needle; I know it's going to hurt. 

"Don't scream too loudly," cautions the doc with a smile. "I have older patients in the waiting room." It does hurt a lot. I'm not a screamer. Luckily. Plus I've cranked up techno music and I'm reading a novel on my phone as distractions. Ouch. Still hurts.

W went to the market yesterday but couldn't find the serving spoons we usually buy. Instead, he pays $16 for 4. What?! They look just like the 40c ones.

There are no refunds in Toko Setiabudi or elsewhere. Even if things break - oh well, it's our responsibility. Everything is tested before we leave - electronics, lights, etc. - so we have no excuse if it falls apart in the next week. And if we got the wrong item, tough.

I talk W into trying to get a refund. After the morning doctor's appt, he goes back to the shop and heads upstairs to the purchase counter: "Sorry, my wife says these are not the right ones. May I get my money back?" No, but she'll reluctantly give credit, to be spent today.

Meanwhile, I hobble around to find the spoons we need. Then it's a long complicated process to buy serving spoons 8@$3.25 for all. Complication: the ones we want are in a bin downstairs, not upstairs where W got the expensive ones.

The gal upstairs finally lets us bring the cheaper spoons up, but that takes a while to negotiate between floor employees. And then we may spend the remaining credit on ... whatever - but only from the upper floor of housewares. W finds a new bath towel and I pick up a serving dish. We were lucky to be able to swap. Though we wouldn't have spent the money otherwise.
We return to the podiatrist at 4. Wow - I wouldn't want to live on the hill across the valley. Look at that landslide! We snap a picture, to the amusement of the security guard at the doc's.
The young assistant wraps my feet tightly in cling film (isn't that too tight?) while I'm sitting, not standing. Then he makes a clay-bandage mold (which doesn't go all the way up my high arch because of the tight wrap.) The custom orthotics are relatively cheap - $80 - but will they fit?
After buying a few pills, which come in little baggies from the pharmacist, to make the inflammation go down, we've spent $130 total = 2 doc visits, ultrasounds, cortisone shot, meds, and custom orthotics. Not bad.

Saturday
It's Community Dinner night. First I have to finish my talk for this evening, make meals (no helpers today), and write a few things. The sun shines outside. I'm happy to be here, not raking leaves in the cold.
Read more:
*There is no Rock like our God. 1 Samuel 2:2
*Jesus said, “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.” Matthew 7:24
Moravian Prayer: Lord, you have established a firm foundation for those who trust in your word. Ground us today— and every day—in relationship with you and in obedience to your commandments. Thus we shall find our footing amid the tempests of life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment