Sunday, August 25, 2019

Books, baptism, and a bouquet

Friday, August 23, 2019
I'm in a creative mode so I cook part of the morning. If I cook when I'm hungry, there's no end to the menu.

Ibu Sumi bakes fresh bread and I make two dips with garden herbs: tofu with fresh dill and homemade kefir cheese with lavender and rosemary. There are grilled sausages, lettuce wraps made with fresh hydroponic leaves from Alice's new venture. They're filled with spiced tofu or hoisin beef. We have deviled eggs and casava chips, too. (Dessert is additional.)
Why? This month's Bandung Book Group is at our place in the early afternoon. We've read Bad Blood (about a deceptive Silicon Valley startup). We have a lively debate on ethics and entrepreneurship. Next month we'll be at another gal's house after reading my pick, A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.

Saturday
The days starts with writing while the sky is still golden.
My two major writing projects may miss end-of-month deadlines. W has writing deadlines of his own. (We're not late because we're fooling around, though. haha)

Gum picks up flowers for the hall tomorrow. They are a stunning 3'-tall riot of tropical color. The bouquets are a delight for us - I've been admiring the fresh arrangements every weekend for years. (Thanks, Ibu Fenny.)
While W is downtown in meetings, Ibu Siti arrives for therapeutic massage on my arm. I have no grip: my thumb is still slightly out of place with a muscle cramped tight. When Ibu S rotates the thumb slowly slowly and more more ... she presses out the frozen muscle ... tears spring to my eyes and roll down my cheeks. I'm not a screamer so when tears come, the pain is hardly bearable.

"Should I stop?" she asks. No way - I'm not doing this again. Just get it done. I breathe deeply, tears flowing. I wipe my eyes on the blanket and try to relax. My legs shake reflexively. Breathe. Breathe.

When Ibu S starts work on my shoulder, it makes me gasp again. Mama mia, that hurts! My knees pull close as I ride out the pain.

As hoped, when she's done, my shoulder has most of its movement and my thumb and wrist - though sore - are no longer catching or clicking. Good job, Ibu! I smile, give her a hug and her money, and rotate everything that was locked in place. Glad that's over.

W is back from town in time to hop in the car again. At 3:00, we have a coffee appointment with friends. We all walk up the street to set tables and put food on the warmers for Community Dinner Bandung.

At 5:00, we're hosting CDB. The set-up crew cranks up the music and tries out a few traditional Indonesian dances - makes me smile.
Tonight, it's the smallest group to date. The supper is delicious though - thanks Della! We have a wonderful exploration of "how we're wired."

Our hand-on activity goes with the theme - we're bending wire into an armature of something from our culture and background. It's such fun to see the creativity of each person - showcasing transportation, food, people, weapons, and other shapes. We're such a mix of experiences.

Sitora tells us that in her country, no tourist will pay for a hotel or food. Someone will find them on the street, take them home for food and lodging, and give them a gift before sending them off. What hospitality. Others mention quirks and habits of their areas - my German background wants to understand and organize everything.

We talk about how our families differ from our neighbors, and how we got to Bandung. When we're done, everyone picks up the leftovers, trays, supplies, and bags and takes them to the car - one trip and the room is clean.
One last event on the way home: we drop in for the launch of Down2Earth, an environmentally friendly restaurant. The appetizers are delicious, the company and conversations (with Jim and Rosa esp) are lively. Robin's rattan sculptures are stunning overhead.

The evening wraps up around 8:30. We're ready for sleep after we unpack the car and carry everything into the house. Our driver takes home some leftovers to share with his family and neighbors, too.

Sunday
The sound system is wonky in the hall today. The teams work together so the media is set and ready before everyone arrives.
We're not speaking this morning, as Josh is sharing on Ezekiel. The hall is full of guests and regulars. Harun is getting baptized after the Gathering. The media team has done a cool video of his story and his commitment to faith. His dad baptizes him -
Community Table is groaning with food - tofu, fritters, cakes, and more. It's BIC time for short and long chats.

Since it's the last Sunday of the month, we celebrate August birthdays with a chocolate cake baked by Pei-Pei. We sing Happy Birthday! but there's so much else to eat that we cut the cake and send it home with the birthday celebrants.
Afterward, W, Aris, and I meet for lunch at Maxis. I walk home and nap until a friend drops by at 3:00 with some clothing. And then the day is almost done. Another week has begun.

Read more:
*The steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him. Psalm 103:17
*If you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord.Jeremiah 29:13-14 
*But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.
This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith.

He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished—he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. Romans 3:21-26
*If the root is holy, then the branches also are holy. Romans 11:16
*Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. Colossians 3:2 
Moravian Prayer: All-knowing God, we search for you in the coming and going of the ocean tides, the passing years, and the shedding of tears. Each season brings us closer to you. Lord, continue to surprise us, inspire us, and reside in the mysteries of life. Lift our spirits.
Master, your reign exceeds all time and space. May we, your servants, ensure that all generations to come continue to seek your direction. With your blessing and guidance, may our foundation become firm. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment