Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Connections make the heart sing

Monday, January 25, 2021

Oh grandkids are FUN. We spend time at the park, where a few run and play.

WONDER

One examines the park with my phone camera. I am delighted with his pictures.
A little hobbit cave at the bottom of a tall maple tree.
The entire landscape of the mountains, in miniature at the base of another tree.
There are feathers and moss.
Even a few wild animals found under the playground slide.
The alligator chomps down a mossy feast. It truly is fun to see what captures the eye of a child.

FAMILY

We have sleepovers and share feasts (cooked by Melissa).

We have family visits and go to the Sunday service online together. The old Coach display table is the perfect stage for recitations of scripture, modeling clothing, playing games, and watching the monitor.

I talk to Mom nearly every day as she adjusts to her new reality. She is indescribably dear.
We call our other kids around the States, but it's not the same as being together in person, in this strange C-19 era. 

We'll miss our grandkids so much when we go home. They model their Indonesian hats for us and give us lots of hugs.

BEAUTY
On my walks around the neighborhood, I am constantly surprised by beauty. The stems of this bush vary from brown to gold to tips of red. There are tiny little white florets here and there. No pic does it justice but it reminds me of the startling diversity at the side of the street.

The streets are empty of people. Most days, I see 4 or 5 people and perhaps as many cars on a one-hour, 3-4 mile walk.

One average-looking house boasts a flag, a big boat parked in the front yard, and another boat parked on the street. 
Occasionally the sun comes out - and I can see the empty streets around me. It's so QUIET compared to our city in Indonesia!


At night we light the candles and relax. I've written about 120 thank you notes this week. Turning off the lights and putting away paper and pen, is a pleasure.
I need nature around me. My walks provide an endless source of fresh mosses, which I keep heaping on the center tray.

The bouquet at the kitchen door is easily refreshed with 3 stems of hydrangeas, midweek.  This is such a short visit that I don't buy any pots of greens, but I do enjoy the flowers.


WORSHIP
We drive a few hours to attend our first in-person church service since March. Most people stay home and participate online.
The trees, devoid of leaves, are grey sculptures against the sky.

One of the loveliest treats is stopping by the house of friends in Puyallup on the way home. Harry and TJ keep the garage door open for our visit. It's a compromise: no hugs allowed this close to our travel time. But there's great warmth and joy at seeing each others' faces again and praying for each other.



Read more:
*I love you, Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I have been saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:1-3   NIV
*Thus says the Lord, “I will rejoice in doing good to them.” Jeremiah 32:41

*The Son of Man came to seek out and to save the lost. Luke 19:10

Moravian Prayer: What a wonder that you, Oh God, should so love and care for the world that a Son is sent down among us, flesh and blood, to guide and save us. Jesus, we are amazed by you. Thank you for being our shepherd. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment