Monday, November 1, 2021

Press pause: jail or God's gift?

Quarantine can be viewed at least two ways: 1) Covid jail; or, 2) a pause from Jesus to get our hearts and bodies sorted out before we tackle the pace of everyday life in Indonesia. For W and me, it feels like a gift.

Jakarta starts humming before 6:00 a.m. We are high above the street, watching the buses, motorcycles, and cars stream by.

Monday, October 25, 2021

We block out this last day in Seattle for packing and wrapping up. We call people we haven't had the chance to connect with, write a lot of emails and messages. We don't get to everyone, of course.

I picked fresh cotoneaster branches in the forest when we arrived in late September.

They've faded, the berries showing a hint of color. The shrub will blaze in reds and deep greens by December.
I go through each room, washing and wiping surfaces, walls, and ledges.
We roll up the cowhide rug under the dining table. It got soaked during a basement flood last year (a water heater failure) and the edges have curled. Hopefully they'll straighten in storage. The floor needs painting after 8 years. It's held up well.
If you ever doubt the power of a rug ... here's how the cowhide centers the room. We laid out rooms in the basement suite between existing walls; each area needs definition for coherence. Rugs are an easy way to do that.
The fridge and freezer sat empty for 3 weeks. I went shopping last week for what I hadn't eaten since last year. We ended up having meals with others so there's food left over. "Raid the freezer on a day when you can't think of what to eat," we tell the dear ones upstairs.
I take a bunch of vegetables upstairs for supper. They're not great - soggy - from my oven's limited options. A new memory: the Brussel sprout toss into the woods behind the house. If we're not eating them, why waste them? We might as well have fun. We use spoons to flip them as far as we can.
It's probably time to shed the stale spices, too. Opening the kitchen cabinet reminds me of how much I used to cook. The spices are sorted into baking and cooking shelves: Western and Asian styles get their own section. I used only 3 types this time back. Yup - time to sort them. Next time.
In my home office, the art and work supplies are stashed in a card file snagged during NU's library remodel two decades ago. The grandkids can read the labels on the drawers. This year, they find their own pencils and other supplies for the first time.
The more interests you have, the more organization you need. I sort through my 2 toolboxes. One is a "toss it in" tote for things that have no other place. It includes a baggie of miscellaneous hardware. Every time I find a washer, screw, nail, or angle iron, I zip it into the bag. 

This visit, we find a specialty screw to repair a classic IKEA easy chair. The chair is next to the sofa so it's perfect for jumping. The headrest, a great grip for safe landings, has come loose. Oma fixes it in no time. The tilt of the lampshade goes undiscovered for a few days.
The second toolbox was my birthday present ages ago. I was frustrated when I'd have to search for basics like a hammer, level, and measuring tape. One of my best presents was that toolbox and the electric drill in a separate box. Our kids knew where those were and could access them any time. I was strict about everyone returning the tools. Can you tell that I like reaching for what I need without having to search or scramble through junky "piles of good stuff?"

Ugh. The toolkit is missing a screwdriver: someone has borrowed and not returned it. It doesn't turn up and someday I may need just that one. Ah, I "add it to the list" for McLendon Hardware on the next trip.

W weighs and re-weighs the suitcases until they're 50 lbs each. We have to pack an extra suitcase. We bring West Coast salmon and TJ chocolate bars back to Indonesia, the same way we haul Java coffee and Bandrek (Bandung's ginger drink) to Canada and the USA.

Many friends requested that we bring back important documents, small treasures, and favorite snacks. W ensures everything is legal before saying yes - but finally has to say, "No more, sorry." (Others also courier for us between trips, especially if we need to sign something in person.)

Tuesday
Merlin comes by before 6:00 a.m. and drops us off at the rainy airport. The guys exchange favors as true friends: he drives us and W updates his computer. Both men have generous hearts with what they do for others.
We send the grandkids a last goodbye video since they are asleep when we leave. Our son is unexpectedly awake and comes downstairs so we get to hug him in person, which is good for our hearts. I don't cry at goodbyes. But I feel the wrench of separation each time.
The airport terminal is almost empty.
We wave goodbye to the cold rain as it splatters the airplane window.
Our first stop is San Francisco. There are few people in the international wing. We relax until it's time to board.
As usual, the American Airlines crew takes good care of us. Look at how empty the cabin is though. Each person has a row on each flight today. We take a stack of pillows and blankets from other rows and curl up on the two long flights: we fly almost 11 hours to Japan and about 7 hours to Jakarta.
The USA coast recedes as we fly for Asia.
The coast is beautiful below as the seat map tracks the journey. Goodbye until next time, North America.
We chase the afternoon sun across the ocean as the day fades away. Our clocks leap ahead 14 hours as we sleep.
Wednesday
On the final leg, ANA (Japanese partner) serves a delicious yam croquette. Transit and travel are uneventful. Everyone is masked and the cabins are quiet. There's more staff than passengers.
We arrive at the Jakarta airport just before midnight. Officials examine our documents at several checkpoints.  We join others at the airport in a long series of lines to confirm visas, immunizations, and PCR tests. And we get another PCR test. You never get used to someone shoving a swab up your nose, do you?

We're asked, "Do you have a place to quarantine?" among many other questions. (Yes. W does astonishingly detailed prep. He has all the paperwork at hand.) We are through immigration, waiting for an hour for the PCR results before getting permission to head to quarantine.

Thursday

We check into the hotel before 2:00 a.m. The designated/mandatory driver, sent to get us to the hotel, arranges that we can get the test results at the hotel. He takes our passports to make sure we stay put.

There is are guards at the elevators to make sure people don't hang out in the halls or run away. We're here until our 5 nights are up. So close to home and still so far away.

In our room, we unpack what we'll need this week. It's a travel ritual: get ready for the next day. We wake early to a beautiful view of the city. Adjoining rooms give us separate desks during the day.

We won't get hotel service except for meals and what we request. Cleaners aren't allowed in but they've left extra garbage bags. Laundry service includes 3 items/day. I send out the blouse I wore on the flights as a test - it comes back fresh and ironed. Nice!

The food is excellent. Lunch looks like what we'd happily order at a restaurant. If I remember correctly, their chef is really good. We could tell the difference on his days off (Sunday/Monday last year.) Let's see if s/he has that same rotation this time.

Almost as many people live in Jakarta as in Canada. We pray over the thousands passing by on the streets below and in the houses and apartments between us and the horizon. I indulge in a hot bath as soon as breakfast is over. The hot water helps me focus as I read and absorb information as we reenter life here.

Rain pelts the windows as lunch is delivered. Meals are left outside the door on a chair. It is tasty and presented beautifully. We can't eat it all. Jet lag tips the stomach off schedule as much as the sleep clock.
Our Indonesian daughter Kristi picks up a gift bag from our USA daughter Kirsten and drops off a beautiful 9" pottery dish at the front desk. It's delivered to our room by the concierge. I love the shape and glaze. 

"Made in Jogja," she messages. Jogjakarta is mid-island, a city full of artists and students. Things made by hand and sent with love are the best. Isn't it lovely?

Mid afternoon, W is fast asleep. I rest and have a bath (oh the bliss!). I'm reading 1) a book on spiritual direction, 2) blog feeds from the last week, and 3) a novel about life in a small city. And writing, of course. That's restful for me.

I have 2 newsletters due by week's end but those are on pause today. Our bodies are flipping ahead to Jakarta time. I listen to Keith and Kristyn Getty on YouTube. Their simple modern hymns touch my heart. The music has profound lyrics with singable tunes. (That kind of music is rare, isn't it?)

Friday
Jet-lag wakes me at 10:00pm, 3 hours after I fall asleep. I can't get back to sleep. I am still awake for a meeting at 4:00. Then I wait for breakfast because W gets his at 6:30. Mine arrives at 8. By then the sun's up and everyone's astir. It poured rain yesterday but the morning starts sunny and cheerful. Another bath, lunch ... and then a nap feels good. I get one newsletter written and have one to go.

Saturday
I wake before 2:00 and stay up until mid-morning. At breakfast, I ask W what day it is. It comes as a shock that we're almost through quarantine. A bath with hot chocolate on the side? Okay. But I miss the announcement for the women's study. I'll have to listen to the recording later.

Lunch is fish and cooled-off sliced potatoes. No thank you. I open the fridge to grab a few bites of my ANA (Japanese airline) breakfast. Ah, no thank you again. We are hardly moving so I don't even need food.

I go through the suitcases, sorting so we can quickly unpack at home. I marvel (as always) at what we brought and what was left behind. I tossed some things in early on our trip and am not sure I've always made the best decision. I leave a bag of goods in the Seattle closet for our next trip.

Online, we review the protocols for meetings as a faith community. We start the conversation with BIC members about decor for the BIC Christmas Gatherings. Anyone want to volunteer to spearhead the Christmas backdrop?
Sunday
We're up early for breakfast. Every day looks the same: scrambled eggs, 2 sausages (usually chicken), something friend potato (tater tots or a triangle of hash browns) along with a little round of samba (vinegar, sugar, and spices) to jazz it up. On the side is juice and milk, plus a fresh croissant and another small pastry.

I warm up with a bath before 8:00 when we are called for a final PCR test. This time, the hotel is set up with a quarantine floor so we don't need a guard to get to the basement conference rooms for testing. Nice.

I'm grateful for technology. Mom and I say a goodnight prayer for her and a prayer for the day's blessings for me. W catches up with his mother, too.

At 9, it's great to be on the "church" side of the world. The past month, we've hosted BIC Online on Saturday nights (Pacific time) and attended a live Sunday service. Today we enjoy scripture readings and encouragement by Ron and Faith Weinbaum. When they're in Bandung, they are faithful friends at BIC. 
When you're up at 2:30 a.m., it feels good to take a nap after lunch.

Monday
Jojo and Kristi pick us up from the hotel 9:00 and drive us home to Bandung. The dogs are happy to see us but as usual, the poodles take a while to warm up. They punish me for my absence by ignoring me for a while first.

As soon as the suitcases are in the house, we head out for lunch. There's a brand new #Pinetta wood-fired pizza restaurant at #NaraPark. We have to try it.
Friend and owner Pauline treats us to some amazing options. Truffle mushroom, spinach cream, and blueberry cheesecake. I'm sure I won't like the sweet - but it is delicious.
Our favorite by consensus is the spinach cream with sweet corn. Who knew? The crust is just right - crisp outside, soft inside, and leopard-spotted on the bottom.

We chat before Kristi and Jojo head home again. Wow, what kindness ... and what fun to catch up. Kristi was the first Indonesian person we met. She lived with us for a few years as a university student, and was an outstanding admin when I worked as Alumni Director.

They're too cute for words besides.
We enjoy some grass jelly from Kristi's folks, too. Tasty, sweet, and good for us, too.
By evening, we're unpacked, the suitcases, clothes, and goodies are put away. It feels like we're home. I'm ready for sleep by 7:30 p.m., while W has already succumbed to the Sandman. Let's see how long it takes us to get over jet-lag this time around.

Read more:
*O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together. Psalm 34:3

*Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.

With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. In that day you will say: “Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted. Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world. Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel among you." Isaiah 12:2-6

*Truly in the Lord our God is the salvation of Israel. Jeremiah 3:23

*[Jesus] told the crowd to sit down on the ground. Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, and when he had given thanks, he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and they in turn to the people. Matthew 15:35-36 NIV

*For in him every one of God’s promises is a “Yes.” For this reason it is through him that we say the “Amen,” to the glory of God. 2 Corinthians 1:20

Moravian Prayer: We magnify you, Lord! We exalt your name together as we gather to worship across planet Earth. May our promises today evidence your “Yes.” Amen, to the glory of God!

Lord our God, you are our salvation. Take our “loaves and fish,” and when you have given thanks, break them. As your disciples remind us, these are not ours to keep to ourselves, but to bear as gifts to others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment