Thursday, June 30, 2022

School break and fun memories

Monday, June 26, 2022

No school today! I'm in meetings from 7-11 a.m. and then study. It's cleanup day all around. The house gets hard use on the weekends. Doesn't take long with good help: then it's ready for the next group.

But our friend's dog Casey reminds us to relax between efforts. She's here for the week and gets 1-2 good walks in the morning. We give her the afternoon off.

This week we celebrate the 60th anniversary of my Uncle and the most beautiful bride I'd ever seen, Auntie Edith. Happy Anniversary, you two! 

My cousin (5) and I (6) were her flower-girls. At the end of the day, my shoes were scuffed, dress was dirty, and socks were wrinkled. Mom says that my legs were a mass of bruises. Someone (moi, right) had fun! with so many new people to meet and so much to explore ... haha, this is obviously the Before picture at the studio.
Later in the day, you can see my dad peeking at me while everyone else behaves during the family photographs (below). Mom is on his right, with her parents flanking her. My brothers stand beside me in the front. 
But what makes me laugh is how politely and quietly my cousin stands compared to me. She looked just as tidy at the end of the day. Her dress, flowers, white socks and shoes were in perfect condition. I remember looking at her in 6-yr-old amazement, and thinking, "Boy, she's not like me! Did she even have fun today?" (I'm sure she did. She loved to dress up.)

Wednesday
Today is our first "date" day in ages. We drive to East Bandung to the wholesale building supply and grocery stores. This iguana is in a 28" (72cm) cage in the market. Lunch?
Closer to home, the 3-storey brick wall of a new-build house is getting its skim coat of cement. It will look sturdy over the red bricks and dirt mortar that fill in the gaps between concrete pillars. We watch the construction with trepidation and awe. Under all the nice walls are ... whatever. Wouldn't pass a building code inspection, that's certain.
Thursday
What great weather! We feel the change from rainy season in the cool nights without clouds. The trails are still wet and slippery, though dry season is coming.

Today we drive up to a parking lot - and down and back up to the starting place. At least we don't get lost on the trails this week. As always, there's a mosque near the parking lot. This one has green corrugated metal roofs.
First, we hike steep hills down to a curug (waterfall.) 
In some places you have to sit down to reach the next step of the trail. Some of it's washed away, some is just plain steep. We space ourselves - one slip and everyone slides down the hill like dominos.
Of course, what goes down must come up.
We take a long loop on rocky tea field roads and wander the paths between shrubs. 
The sun is hot but in places there is shade.
We come back to the parking lot through a twig tunnel over typically uneven stairs. After a while you don't even think about your feet - you're watching them all the time.
Afterward, we have lunch at "The Barn," a restaurant conveniently located for the impatient who can't get into Kampung Daun Resto (Leaf Village Restaurant). It's school break so things are full. We queue briefly at KDR, a complex of gazebos and traditional fare, and then head for the Barn down the street.

There's a 3" (10 cm) horned beetle under the table. Luckily it's on its back and not running for my feet. I leave it there.
If someone had brought me these tropical bug skeletons as a child, I would have jumped for joy. I already have other delights planned for our grandkids on our next trip back to Canada and the US.

The decor is a clutter of bird-ish things. We take pictures in the "cage" and snap a few of the dozens of birdhouses.
Kristi gets a picture of the 1" blue bee buzzing the begonias around our table.
Friday
Our morning walks are relaxing, with little Casey strolling with the rest. We pass neighbors wearing red Tai-Chi shirts; it must be Friday, when batik or other patriotic clothes are di rigeur.
The white bulbs bloom like lamps against a stone wall.
Read more:
*The Lord is my strength and my might, and he has become my salvation. Exodus 15:2

*May the Lord cause you to flourish, both you and your children. May you be blessed by the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. The highest heavens belong to the Lord, but the earth he has given to mankind. It is not the dead who praise the Lord, those who go down to the place of silence; it is we who extol the Lord, both now and forevermore. Psalm 115:14-18

*But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children—with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts. Psalm 103:17-18

*Keep my commandments and live, keep my teachings as the apple of your eye. Proverbs 7:2

Mary said, “The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name.” Luke 1:49

*Who is wise and understanding among you? Show by your good life that your works are done with gentleness born of wisdom. James 3:13

Moravian Prayer: Lord, our desire is to honor you in all we do, but we confess that we often fall short of keeping your commandments; please forgive us. Teach us to walk in faithfulness and integrity according to your word. Mighty God, strong to save, holy is your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment