Monday, October 31, 2022

Travel tips* and jet lag

Saturday, October 29, 2022

Except for the last week in Seattle, we escaped autumn this year. HURRAH. Back in Bandung, I revel in the warmth. The sky is similarly overcast at the beginning of rainy season. But oh my body loves the +25oC (70s-80sF) temperatures.

What I don't like as much are the mosquito bites. I get bitten several times within a few minutes of applying Picaredan insect repellent. I change back to Deet. (Picaredan, along with essential oils, is useless for me). I put flea repellent on the dogs, too.

Insomnia and jet lag. It's a thing. I've been up at night for 3-4 hours the last 2 weeks. Texas time is 2 hours before Seattle time. And Bandung time is 14 hours ahead of Seattle time. The swings in the time zones muddle up the clock in my head. 

Arriving in Seattle from Indonesia is usually fine but it takes up to 2 weeks when we return to synchronize our sleep with daylight. That's jet lag for you. I applaud travelers who invest in First Class tickets as they crisscross the globe.

My pink Merrill walking shoes made it here safely, though. We're good to go.

*Sunshine. *Exercise. The *rhythm of work and food. These are proven cures. W has banged up his knee so he's staying off it as much as possible. But I walk a few 1-mile loops most days. And I putter in the garden, feed the birds and fish, and pet the dogs outside.

Today I take Juno on the walk. Little poodle Bailey darts out of the gate and is reluctant to come back in: he sits down outside in hopes of a leash of his own. "Sorry, buddy. In you go!" He's not happy with me.

Yesterday I walked all 3 dogs What a challenge. I don't let them pull on the leash so I was constantly correcting them to follow, not lead. PakG takes them on two daily walks. He's a lifesaver. Walking is vital for dogs' wellbeing.

*Unpacking on the day (or night) of our arrival is another lifesaver. There are a few things here or there to put away, but the suitcases are emptied and stored, the cabinets are full, and things are tidy. There's time to brew a cup of tea.

Ibu Siti comes to the house at 8:00 a.m. to give us *post-travel massages. That a recovery hack when we fly a long way. For 2 hours @15 USD (220IDR), she pushes out the kinks and unblocks our circulation. We started *wearing compression socks for long flights a few years ago and lost the lower-leg swelling that used to make our shoes tight and uncomfortable.

W and I work on the talk for Sunday at BIC. With a short annual stay (rather than a year of home assignment), we return to work as soon as we're home.

We have new neighbors. Several households have moved into the offices and house next door. The dogs bark as people move around and let us know when someone uses the shared gate. I keep having to jump up from my desk to tell the newcomers not to feed the dogs. The animals will be as fat as hogs if this continues.

Every day, many people come and go. The stink of untuned motorcycles waiting for the unlocking of the gate is a new thing. Our house - with cracks around hand-built windows and doors - is not sealed, so the fumes seep into the rooms. Ugh.

At lunch, I cook one package of Klöße (potato dumplings), purchased at a German deli in Spokane. It's SO good! *I let my body decide on food: so far, yogurt in the morning and one meal midday is enough.

I chop 9 flowers off their stems in the garden, pop them into matching bottles, and send them plus 2 folding tables to the hall for BIC tomorrow. The simplest solution to flower arranging when you're weary..

Sunday

Ach, that's right. Good things we're up early since we start BIC setup at 7:00 a.m. The GG office has been moved in our absence so our hall internet is unplugged. Josh P and W are good at this and figure out a temporary alternative for the livestream.

It's wonderful to be with our BIC family. Lena brings by one of her favorite books for Pastor Appreciation month (October).

Afterward on The Porch, twenty-some young people hang out, eat lunch together, and play games. There are several new faces who thank Sam for making it happen. It's a pretty special time.

DrH, Hanny, and Aaron are over for lunch. Aaron is a gifted young artist. God drops into my heart that one of the BLICK illustration marker sets we hauled from Seattle is his. That passing of resources is normal: I find things, wonder why we have them on hand, and suddenly they find an owner. I can't wait to see what he creates.

Monday

I need my morning walk, Mom and I call though it's barely 2 miles up and around the neighborhood. As I stroll out the gate with Gypsy. Juno and Bailey howl their dismay at being left behind but I'm trying the Gentle Leader collar to see if we can control Gypsy's bite reflex (when he meets other dogs and hears a certain timbre of motorcycle engine.) Sure enough, he's pulled up short when someone buzzes past. (Lucky biker.)

We pass an actor's castle-house, complete with its spotted deer inhabitants. Two are growing antlers. May have a good fight in a few months, who knows.

It's a typical Monday morning packed with calls and meetings. Other tasks include:

  • Assigning chores, including today's menu.
  • Editing tomorrow's team agenda.
  • Exploring themes for Christmas decor at the BIC hall, sketchbook and pen in hand. I think it's going to be "Jesus the Light of the World."
  • Chatting with Robin, who may know a tailor who can make 2 new purses from my travel bag, which is falling apart. If I could buy another Mossimo bag like this, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I brought fabrics and supplies from the USA. I could sew the bags if I had the energy! But there are other things vying for attention.

I write a newsletter and catch up with the team and our household. Before I know it, the afternoon is over. Welcome to home sweet home. (Love it here.)

Read more:

*The Lord God is a sun and shield. Psalm 84:11

*Sing for joy, O heavens, and exult, O earth; break forth, O mountains, into singing! For the Lord has comforted his people, and will have compassion on his suffering ones. Isaiah 49:13

*Jesus said to the disciples, “Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?” Mark 4:40

*Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all consolation, who consoles us in all our affliction. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Moravian Prayer: Amazing God, your faithfulness is without equal in all creation! Quiet the voices in our minds that whisper doubt and fear, and instill in us the constant faith that endows courage and inspires action. In your name, we pray.

Such wondrous love and compassion abound in your presence, O Lord! Mercifully remind us today of our sacred obligation to be channels of your blessings, that the world may know you and glorify your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment