Sunday, March 3, 2024

At least 4 = a lotta links to a lotta stuff

Friday, March 1, 2024 (Lent Day 15)

Our final morning in Bali is full of good news - how to lead, how to focus on what's important, and how to transfer your values to others. My head is buzzing and my notebook page is full. Thanks to Don Buterra, an uncommon and unconventional leader who reminds us that God uses who we are, where we've been sent.

We have purchased a few gifts. (= my interpretation of Balinese mood and peoples above)

W and I catch a flight to the new Bandung-area airport (2 hours from town). Our flight is partly full but we are the only flight landing during the hour it takes to get our luggage off the only moving carousel. So ... we maybe see 1-200 people in this second-largest airport in Indonesia. There's a lineup of shuttles to the villages and cities.

The road paving has good sideway leveling. However, it's not even going forward, which creates a bucking bronco effect. It's quite bumpy at times and the rain makes it hard to see the beautiful mountains edging paddy fields on either side of the tollroad. There are few villages in view.

The shuttle driver centers the van on the dividing line between 2 lanes unless we pass a motorcycle or car. Then he shifts over to the far lane before returning to the middle of the road.

Saturday (Lent Day 16)

I learn more from this mastermind each month (regardless of who is able to show up) than any other group meeting. The leaders are lively, opinionated, and full of good counsel, leading at different seasons of life and in far-flung places. We start at 6:00 a.m. which knocks my walk off the schedule. Since we've walked 5 miles every day in Bali, I don't care if we skip it today.

After some trail mix, yogurt, and half a cookie from #QuietWatersBakery, I'm ready to catch up on a few book reviews. The cost for each pre-publication book is a review. Some books are useful to me as a lecturer or pastor; others pique my curiosity; a few are pure recreation, written by authors I've enjoyed in the past. Read some of the reviews here. (Use the TOC to find books that might interest you?)

I recommend two books by Johann Hare: a fascinating book on Ozempic, to be published soon, as well as another on digital distraction. All kinds of books pass through my Kindle and e-readers. Some have been published. Others are coming to print soon. 

One that grabs my heart is an account of a father's emotions and processes when his son lands in prison.

I read about recovery from burnout. I skim an account of friendship as transformation (the book of Ruth and modern relationships). I browse a theology manual written by a respected Lutheran. And I review a another batch of novels that did/n't live up to my expectations.

I limit myself to 20 reviews, which takes up the middle of the day. My head is spinning, my stomach is full (DIY Mexican-ish noodles, a recipe here), and my eyes are tired. Time to take a break and prepare for the Leadership Team meeting tomorrow.

A new-to-us recruiter for short-term interns arrives in late afternoon. He's exploring what ways volunteers could be helpful in the community and country. He's touring Indonesia, seeing sights and meeting people. We're glad he showed up at our place.

Supper is a walk away, up the street to #NaraPark.
A young graduate is posing for pictures in a niche by our table.

Sunday

Don speaks on the Boldness of the Spirit. The morning's highlight is baptizing 3 people. It's a declaration of their intention and promise to follow God for life.

Each one in the community rejoices.

The leadership team meets right after we're done. Some of the LT join us for lunch.
The food at Maxis is good. $6 for 2 king prawns? ok.
The flowers come home from the hall.
Ibu Titik is a genius in creating fresh arrangements. "It's fun for me," she insists.
Monday (Lent Day 17)
Time for a walk. The living room is flooded with sunshine before I head out.
I notice a few new things in the neighborhood. The stone tiling is finally done on the wall where the new house is being built. It looks colossal. 

Maybe Rabbit Town is getting ready to open, after being closed since the pandemic. All the cartoon-animal figures are lined up and waiting for the public.

Mom's her usual cheerful self in our early meeting before my first meeting with others.
Read more:
*In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.


And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day. Genesis 1:1-5

*How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? Psalm 13:1

*You have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy. Psalm 63:7

*Jesus cried with a loud voice, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Matthew 27:46

*If God is for us, who is against us? Romans 8:31

Moravian Prayer: O divine Habitation, we take comfort in the assurance that wherever our lives may take us, or whatever life may throw at us, we are surrounded by your loving embrace. May we remain aware that your abiding presence is sufficient for all the challenges of our lives. In Jesus’ name, we pray.

Gracious Lord, in our moments of distress, we can imagine ourselves to be far from you. When we are tempted to feel forsaken, may we listen for your voice in the silence. May we ever remember that you are only a prayer away. May we seek and always find you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment