Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Soft landing in Missouri

Friday, June 21, 2024

Last night, we arrived at the Sleep Inn (basic) at 11:30pm, 48.5 hours after leaving home. PakG drove us from Bandung to the Jakarta airport on Thursday morning (Jakarta time). We overnight at the Anaya Hotel before 4 flights that start in the early morning. We land in Narita (Tokyo), LAX, Dallas, and then Missouri. The flights are uneventful. There's not much sleep for me, though W easily dozes on each leg. At the Springfield baggage conveyer, I stand between several people wearing Christian message T-shirts. They are friendly and chat freely.

W was appalled at the car rental prices until he found a 5-seat pickup truck for under $300. We agree that we don't care what vehicle we're driving. The friendly Avis rep at the airport informs us: "We don't have the truck you booked. We have a farm pickup or a KIA Serento. Your choice." It's a nice bonus. (No, we don't choose the old pickup.)

Our luggage has made 3 of 4 legs of the trip: it's resting overnight in Dallas. We have bare basics in our carryons: W finds a long-sleeved top; I don a light coat and socks. We turn the air conditioning up to a bearable warmth. Rooms are COLD here; most air-conditioners are set to high, with blasting fans and under 19o/70C. Brrr. After taking a sleeping pill, I pull a sleep mask over my eyes, pop in construction-grade earplugs, and fall asleep like the dead. 

The manager of the hotel moves us to a first floor room, rather than the third storey that was booked. No stairs for us this time. (Too bad; he thinks he is doing us a favor.) I check my fitness tracker: 12000 steps, 21 flights (up only, more down), and over 5 miles of walking yesterday. We're shocked by how tall and overweight people are in the airports; many struggle to walk the flat hallways and pull a carry-on. While I feel heavy and big in Indonesia, here I'm smaller than average. It's one weird part of readjusting to life in the USA. We have been away for a while. 

I'm barely awake at 6:30, but fall back into sleep until 7:15. We toddle down three long halls to breakfast: biscuits and gravy, a waffle, yogurt, and tea. I skip the donut case and pastries. (Congealed fat, artificial flavors, and sugar?) No thanks. I can barely eat what's on my plate.

There's nothing an Indonesian would choose for sarapan (breakfast). No rice. This is also part of the adjustment: we reenter the culture with an outsider's perspective, wondering what our Indonesian friends would choose for their meal. Comparison is instinctive. Expats are cautioned to observe but not to judge where we land by where we serve. There's good in every place.

We sit near 2 men: a huge father and son are talking about a woman they know. "She needs to lose weight if she wants to reach 60 years old." These guys must be 300-350 lbs. (150 kg). W lifts his eyebrows in surprise at the conversation. Perspective. Perspective.

Today's agenda is simple. We shop for basic clothing (the airline will cover this); eat lunch with friends; attend a financial info seminar; then take time to adjust to the clock and climate - it's over 90oF/32oC every day. I find a bag full of jewelry that needs sorting - there are several $100 necklaces in the tangle. Now to take apart the mess that customers made, throwing it together ...

Over the next few days, I pull apart 65 necklaces, 5 bracelets, and 10 pieces of jewelry that need repair. Each goes into a separate snack bag so we don't snarl them up again. I estimate the retail between $1000 - $2,000. At +30c eat, that's good enough.

Saturday

We walk a couple of miles around the neighborhood and the park near the hotel. Then it's off to register for the conference. We have lunch at a fantastic Vietnamese restaurant - Hong Yen. The service is good, the food is excellent. There's an opening session for the Asian region where we are noted as having served 10 years. Others are celebrated at retirement for 47 and 50 years of service abroad. Wow.

We go back to the hotel to change clothes and spend the evening at a reception. The food is excellent. The table conversation is lively.

Sunday
We wake at 8:00 and are a few minutes late for the working walk, service, and picnic at a beautiful shaded park.
We exchange stories with coworkers and friends.
Mid-afternoon, we're ready to rest - jet lag is real. We're asleep by 10:30 p.m.

Monday
I wake at 1:30 a.m. and don't sleep until 6:30, no matter what I try.. When W's alarm goes off at 7:30,  he goes for breakfast. I can't take one more look of sausage and gravy or a waffle. I have a yogurt in the fridge, which I consume before showing and tidying the room. It's humid here - today' it's supposed to get over 100oF (38oC) but the room we meet in has air-conditioning so cold that everyone from the tropics is in sweaters and coats. I makes sure I have warm shoes and socks on, plus a light jacket.

Barbara and I visit over lunch. She's a faithful mentor and friend but it's been years since we've met in person. Barbara' files helped fill in gaps for my dissertation. I'm so grateful for trailblazers like she is.
I get to visit Ashley in the university library before heading into the afternoon session. Her mom Kim and I are good friends. We send her mom the picture.
We have a team barbecue before heading home at night. It feels like we do nothing but sit and eat. Good information though.

Tuesday
I crashed at 10:00 last night but I sleep in until 8:00 ... with the help of a sleeping pill. Whew. That's 10 hours of rest.

The meetings are helpful. Then we enjoy lunch with Sam and Shellie. The two kiddos who come along are darling. Their parents are doing a great job; they're well-behaved (and cute)!
In the evening, friends drop by with their new computer. W transfers the information from old to new machine. I update a class syllabus and send it off.

Read more:
*O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever. Psalm 107:1

*I will tell of your name to my brothers and sisters. Psalm 22:22

*Paul wrote: I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel that was proclaimed by me is not of human origin. Galatians 1:11

Moravian Prayer: O Savior of all, in you we have found our answer to the needs of our lives and the world. We confess that, at times, we are reluctant to share the good news of your love and power with those whose lives we touch. We shrink back from being your witnesses. Forgive us. Cause your spirit to move within us, inspiring and emboldening us to share the good news we have found in you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment