Monday-Tuesday, July 15-16, 2026
We lose a day during westward travel, so might as well put the days together. After laundry, cleaning, and supper with T, M, and their kids, it's time to close the suitcases. I keep forgetting what I want to bring along, so this time, I snap photos of what's in cabinets and cupboards. We didn't have time for a grandkids' sleepover or tea this working trip.
"Being home," was our reply. We are thoroughly homesick. T drops us off at the airport at 9PM. The first flight leaves shortly after midnight.
Air travel has devolved into an ordeal. It's not the adventure we remember from airline service of 20-30 years ago. China Airlines, like most Asian global carriers, still offers attentive flight attendants, decent food and snacks, and a wide variety of international movies to pass the time.
I turn my hoodie around once I'm seated. I prop a hand-lettered "Please let me sleep" and a sleep emoji across the food tray. Pulling the hood over my face, with AirPods in my ears, I'm set for a quiet check-out. The first flight (to Taipei) is under 12 hours. My seatmate and I have an empty seat between us and alternate using it to stretch out a bit. He's leaning Buddhist as an expat living in Thailand. We chat about what it means to love God and love others by caring for them. He's a clothing designer, living frugally and using his profits to build solar-powered irrigation for rice farmers up north.
Our luggage is check through, so W and I spend 4 hours between flights in the beautiful lounge (W's flight miles and credit card = bonus). The stone-flanked hallway to the lounge is topped by mirrors, creating a feeling of space and timelessness.
Wednesday
The last flight to Jakarta is only 5.5 hours. We breeze through immigration and customs, meeting PakG in the parking garage. An enormous digital screen shows ocean, jungle, and farm scenes over the luggage carousels.
Near home, we stop at the grocer for eggs, oil, rice, vegetables, and meat. It's a relief to haul things into the house, though W sends PakG home immediately and unpacks the car himself. I put away groceries and remove food, household items, and a few clothes from my suitcases. The frozen goods go into the freezer. The nuts and snacks belong in the fridge, where ants and roaches can't access them.
This trip, I crammed in pillows and another IKEA Beddinge sofa slipcover, too. They're perfect antidotes to endless summer, whenever I need a "seasonal" change.
We lay out gifts for friends and helpers and run the robo-vacuum across 1 1/2 months of dust in the bedroom and bathroom. W was here an extra month after I left. He epoxied the main bathroom floor, which has cured.
A year ago, before the Project was renovated, the room looked like this. (Yes, there were side-by-side thrones.) It took a lot of scrubbing to lift the grime after 10 years of abandonment and vagrants.
Thursday
After a restless night, W takes the dogs on a loop while I'm deciding when the day starts. I make breakfast on the Porch before walking over to Alice's to say hi and catch up. The tropical flowers along the street are as beautiful as ever.
W and I hand out gifts as the helpers arrive in the morning. The house and yard are clean and generally in good order. There's excessive termite damage around the conference room windows. You must constantly check wooden frames in the tropics. I haven't been around for two-and-a-half months so the bugs are chomping through the wood. W sprays ants that have begun a nest in my office, removing a 3" length of frass.
Lunch, our first Indonesian meal, is chicken and rice, of course. It is good with acar (vinegarette and vegetables).
A quick swap in the living room refreshes the sofa slipcover and pillows. The springy vibe was a light-colored cover.

Read more:
* My heart recoils within me; my compassion grows warm and tender. I will not execute my fierce anger; for I am God and no mortal, the Holy One in your midst. Hosea 11:8,9
* For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. John 3:16
* Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Moravian Prayer: Almighty God, at times the power of your voice can seem overwhelming, even intimidating. Yet, through the love of your son walking with us, we are reassured of your comfort and protection. Thank you for your love. Amen.




No comments:
Post a Comment