Wednesday, September 23, 2026
As kids growing up in Canada, we celebrated this day as the first day of autumn. Outside my office window, the shrub with red plumes keeps showing off. It's bloomed steadily for a month or more.

The dogs relax as we have breakfast. We had a half-hour of rain last night, which made everyone happy.

I shop for groceries while W has speech therapy. I'm in the mood to make food when I return. I make chicken lunchmeat, soft cheese, and then lunch. The chicken has to cool and solidify in the fridge before we eat it, but the homemade cheese is perfect on a fresh loaf of bread.
"Where did you get those candles?" ask my Indonesian friends. They flicker like the real thing. Ummm. The Dollar Store, USA @2/$1.25. I've noticed that they're dimming.
The DS candles have plastic parts. Our other fakes look more realistic since they have wax exteriors = 80% off at an IKEA sale. I wondered if the warm climate would melt them, but so far - after 5 or 6 years of service - they're still flickering.
We swap out the rechargeable batteries every few months. The candles are on day and night for a soft glow. They keep going and going.
Are you dimming? What recharges you? And how long does your charge last?
We sit down with PakG, who has worked for us for 8 years. We discuss his cost-of-living increase, what's working, and what needs improving on both sides. He offers to communicate with the yardman, who neither followed W's instructions nor completed his work last week.
"We joined you in 2-year spans," IbuS notes at the end of her workday. True: IbuA came 12 years ago, IbuS 10 years ago, and PakG 8 years ago. They have truly been a blessing, helping us move from our last home to the Project. They help maintain the Project so we can bless others together.
It's muggy out - the AQI is an "Unhealthy"190 by mid-afternoon. No wonder we don't feel like working outside. We're ready to end the day when some workers leave at 3PM. Of course, I have to think about supper. Oh wait! I bought sushi (California Rolls) from the grocer's Japanese section. Maybe I'll share that with W and avoid planning another meal.
W finds a lizard on the pool pipe. It's green on the blue plastic.
It immediately turns brown as it reaches the tiles.
It skuttles off, long tail dragging. Someone corrects me. "It's a white-chested lizard not a chameleon." Hmmm. I look up what she's describing and there's no such thing on Google. I don't care what it's called. It's about a meter long, with a tail that curls for balance and strength as it climbs plants and pipes. Don't let our dogs see it!
Thursday
Today's a big day. Kel and a friend come from Jakarta with his 2 beautiful dogs. He's emigrating early next year, so he wants to rehome Bruno (a small standard poodle) and Mary (a labradoodle, daughter of our Juno.) The dogs are 6 years old and past the puppy stage. He wants to leave them here for a few weeks so we can see how they fit in. They've lived mostly indoors; the adjustment to a big yard will be interesting.
W and I finish out walk and eat breakfast at #NaraPark. Even though items have the same name, they're not always familiar. Look at the chicken drumstick-and-thigh options on the menu.
Someone has split a thick log for a bench.
It's a bug-rich environment.

What complex creatures.
When we sit down to lunch, I notice movement. W has noodles and sauce on his plate. There was only one portion of noodles so I put my hot toppings on a slice of lunch bread. My plate is squirming with minuscule ants that must be in the bag of fresh bread. I don't see them until they flee the heat. I squish them as they swarm the plate.
After we eat, I hand the rest of the bread bag to the helpers. It's great bread! and they can toast it so there are no more ants. Have I lived here too long? Lucky W with noodles; he might not have tolerated the escapees as well. The roses from Sunday continue to provide joy and color.
The dogs are beauties when they arrive in early afternoon. Kel says, "If you change your mind at any point, please return them to our family." Since our dogs are aging, we consider adopting the poodle. I find out Lizzie, their wonderful breeder at #BaliPoodleDoodle, has sent Kel our way to see if I can find them a home.
Then Kel offers, "Actually, do you want them both? I'd like to keep them together." We do the usual "incoming routine" for dogs: a meet and greet. We walk the strangers around our yard so they can "meet" our canines and ours will accept them in the space. But our dogs meet the new ones in a neutral place. (Thanks, Chandra! Sorry about the wild kitten captured by Juno, the hunter of bats, cats, and birds.)
Mary the doodle is shy, fearful, and anxious. She bares her teeth and lunges when another dog comes near her owners, her, or her possessions. Not good. She won't be happy with our 3 curious dogs and will stir up trouble. Juno snarls back at her when she shows her teeth. (Juno is the schoolmarm around here, teaching everyone proper behavior.)
When we take the new two around the perimeter of the Project yard, Mary runs onto the pool cover, tearing it in several places. Bruno follows her but quickly climbs off. Mary feels the swing of the fabric and crouches in place, shivering for a few minutes. She finally makes her way to the side, tearing big holes in the shadecloth. Poor thing.
Hopefully, we have found a home for Mary with a family of animal lovers. Our friends have dogs of their own and enjoy visiting with Juno and the others. Just after Kel leaves for Jakarta, Mary walks over to Bruno and bites him so his head bleeds. Ouch.
Bruno doesn't make a sound but turns his back as he is pushed, mounted, and bitten. W removes him from Mary's reach and they sit by the firepit together. From then on, Bruno is W's dog.
Meanwhile, Mary snuggles with our friend Maddie. Maddie's calm nature and gentle touch puts animals at ease. Mary goes home with Maddie and her family. She explores their household.
After all that excitement, local ministry leaders drop by with a thank-you fruit basket for our hosting their group last week.
We enjoy the fruit and pastries they leave behind = supper. I don't have the energy to cook ...
We take the dogs for another long walk to settle them in for the night. Maddie says Mary goes into a sleeping crate without any fuss, same as Bruno does here. The crate is for their protection and comfort. They need a safe space of their own and we don't want our dogs stirring up trouble for them overnight.
FridayW's off to the clinic for follow-up blood tests. But first, Bruno, Anton, and Juno walk side by side as though they've always been together.

The pink car is back, parked in its original location. Still no license plate or ID.
If we raise a hand near Bruno, he flinches. When another dog walks by, he tucks in his tail and turns away. Our dogs sniff from a distance, respecting his space and letting him be. Bruno may thrive with a few weeks of peace and quiet. The Project yard waits to be explored but he finds his safe place by his crate, behind a table and chairs on the terrace.
Once W leaves, I cook for two hours, using one big saucepan. Bacon gets fried, stored, and the fat removed from the pan. Next comes onion. I store and label half of it and add garlic to the rest. I remove half and add ginger. Then I store that and add chopped mushrooms. After half is stashed away, I add grated carrots. I freeze some mixes in cupcake trays, some in jars.
There's enough left to flavor my brunch of scrambled eggs - and lunch. I finally have time to eat on the Porch mid-morning.
Cold water removes the baked-on food (no onion or garlic left). It is frozen in a lick-mat for the dogs. Waste not, want not.
I think Bruno has found a comfort auntie in Juno. She knows how to settle down an anxious pup. She spots him, sits near him until he relaxes, then lies down nearby. After Bruno goes to sleep, she walks off to her own sweet spot. Good doggies.
Maddie writes that all is well at her place, too. Look at Mary snuggling on the sofa with her ...
Read more:
* These had given willingly, for with single mind they had offered freely to the LORD. 1 Chronicles 29:9* Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.
" For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life,and I will raise them up at the last day.”
At this the Jews there began to grumble about him because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.”
They said, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, ‘I came down from heaven’?”
“Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered. “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day." John 6:35-44
* He sold a field that belonged to him, then brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet. Acts 4:37
Moravian Pryaer: Generous God, you who gives us life without limit, you invite us to imitate you in giving. We offer our gifts to you with joyful hearts, knowing that all we have is yours. Help us give freely and willingly, trusting that our offerings will further your kingdom and bring glory to your name. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment