Monday, May 31, 2021

Fuzz, flowers, and friendship

 I took 7 days off phones and computers. Wow, was that weird. Staring outside for hours, napping, taking a long bath ... and still the minutes click by. I haven't been this bored in decades. It's good for me. I can hear the thoughts whirring inside my head without distraction.

Do you know how time crawls without a device at hand? We spent last week In Bali. We attended a memorial service for a fellow worker who died of cancer. Amid the meetings and meals, I craved solitude. I didn't get that, but it was nice to be away from routines nonetheless.

Indonesia is full of interesting botanicals. This 5-6" bloom flourishes beside our porch. A truly black flower ... amazing.

We're happy to have Laurel join us as a summer intern. She makes herself at home and we enjoy her company. We visit Jorge's organization, where neighbor kids come for art, reading, and games.
Some friends offer this simple brownie recipe to those of us craving chocolate.
When I ask the yardman to trim back the bush that is spreading over its neighbors, he leaves only a collection of bare branches ... what a severe trim!
We say goodbye to friends who are repatriating to the USA. Three couples are leaving Bandung and going back to the USA this month. We'll miss them. Because of visa restrictions, regulations, and other difficulties, few expats are coming to replace those who have gone.
Nara Park, a courtyard surrounded by 7 restaurants, is beautiful at night - and a short walk from our house.

I was glad that the dogs got groomed on the weekend. Poodles feel like fuzzy sheep when they get a trim.

Someone bringst me a flower when we study together - it's cheered up the office all week.
Outside the office door, I hear young people playing - great fun. It rains nearly every day and many nights: when the sun's out, everyone appreciates it.
The petals of tiny flowers are littered across the pavement.
Our friend sends tilapia for our lunch. We eat it fresh-cooked, 2 hours after it comes out of the water. Regardless, I don't like fish. W and the rest pronounce it delicious.
The vegetables from the aquaponic farm are fresh and tasty, too.
The helpers chop the greens into tiny pieces, so small that they spoil within a few days, even in the fridge. I ask them to cut bigger pieces next time.
I'm happy to be starting on a new quilt. The pattern is one that pleases me.
We didn't get to Ubud in Bali, so I wasn't able to pick up the rayon scarves that everyone loves. I tore a bunch of them into stripes for one side of a lap blanet, and kept a full piece for the other side.
They're easy to make and comfortable, too. We keep them on the porch for cool mornings and evenings.
Our friends come for pizza night: the dutch floor tiles (2'X2') are a great surface for our dishes. They bring us a blue budgie, Sky. He's the 5th bird on the terrace: 2 canaries that sing their hearts out, and 2 lovebirds that squawk together all day. So far, Sky's the quietest.
I get braces for my lower teeth and then I have massive unrelenting headaches as my jaw begins to move. it's hard to sleep at night when your head is pounding. I'm off social media from evening until morning this month, too. How I miss the YouVersion scriptures being read aloud. I lay awake for hours, wanting to fall back asleep.

Read more:

*(Jonah’s Prayer) Now the Lord provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. 

He said: “In my distress I called to the Lord, and he answered me. From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help, and you listened to my cry. You hurled me into the depths, into the very heart of the seas, and the currents swirled about me; all your waves and breakers swept over me.


I said, ‘I have been banished from your sight; yet I will look again toward your holy temple.' The engulfing waters threatened me, the deep surrounded me; seaweed was wrapped around my head. To the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth beneath barred me in forever. 


But you, Lord my God, brought my life up from the pit. When my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, Lord, and my prayer rose to you, to your holy temple.“Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God’s love for them. But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.’”


And the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (Jonah 1-2)

*I will rescue the lame; I will gather the exiles. I will give them praise and honor in every land where they have suffered shame. Zephaniah 3:19

*When they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, is this the time when you will restore the kingdom to Israel?” He replied, “It is not for you to know the times or periods that the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses. Acts 1:6-8

Moravian Prayer: Jesus, help us be ready for the day when you will restore your kingdom. You will rescue the lame and the exiles—and draw all people to yourself. In the meantime, help us to serve you here on earth and work to do your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment