Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Clearing away chaos

Over the years, I’ve often been asked, “How do we know God’s will for our lives?” The answer varies from person to person, from “Get moving and God will let you know as you go,” to “You may not know until you are looking back at how God has led you.”

It’s a marvel to see how God brings order from chaos. He sorts darkness and light in creation. From the formless waters, he arranges a sustainable interaction of organic life and inorganic planet.

Those who spend the day finding find food and work all day to survive are probably less concerned with nuances of meaning than those living in a land of plenty. But few in our rich culture sail through life without questions of purpose and meaning. The plethora of choices seems overwhelming. Teens and young adults flounder, testing this and that, getting an education or trying out jobs, symptoms of abundance rather than having too little information about God’s will.

As I hit the books again, I am surrounded by options. I could direct my attention to this theory. I could examine this problem. So many books, so many ideas float out there.

I depend on God to find a manageable focus. Something meaningful. Something on which to spend a few years of life, examining and mulling. Something small enough to grasp but big enough to matter.

This morning, I am swimming in the abundance of God’s provision, looking for a dock to climb on to survey the ocean of possibilities around me.
How about you?


Read more:
*Listen to my voice in the morning, LORD. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly. Psalm 5:3 NLT
*Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup; You have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places, surely I have a delightful inheritance.
I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Psalm 16:5-8 NIV
*Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5–6 NLT

*And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment