Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Natural fit

Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day September 15


Culminate \KUL-muh-nayt\ verb

Meaning


1 of a celestial body : to reach its highest altitude; also : to be directly overhead

2 : to rise to or form a summit

*3 : to reach the highest or a climactic or decisive point

Example Sentence


Weeks of civil unrest culminated in a protest march of over 25,000 people in the capital square.

I like to watch speakers, regardless of how comfortable or nervous they are. I always learn something, usually more from body language than their words, unless they are riveting communicators. It's interesting to see who comes alive in front of a crowd, and who looks like they're about to be burned at the stake.

Some things are a natural fit. I've always talked. And never minded talking in front of people. I suspect listeners aren't as judgmental or scary as most speakers fear. Those who don't like to speak are very happy to sit back and listen and critique. Those who are envious just want a crack at the opportunity for themselves.

I fall somewhere between those who would die if they had to speak and those who are chomping at the bit. I'm not falling apart inside, sitting and listening to someone else. Whenever I get the chance, I love speaking, preaching or teaching. Mentors have said I could be more ambitious, looking for more places and venues "up front." But there's a relaxed comfort in watching what God brings my way, culminating when a door opens and I get to walk through to share Good News.

Not speaking very often means I'm sort of rusty when I do get the chance. Yesterday, I forgot to drink water instead of green tea for breakfast, so had a dry throat when I started to preach (http://www.cedarpark.org/thechapel/services/index.html). By the time I was done, I realized how comfortable speaking is and that I really look forward to the next time. Whatever that looks like. And whenever, where-ever it is.

Read more:

*Let each generation tell its children of your mighty acts; let them proclaim your power. I will meditate on your majestic, glorious splendor and your wonderful miracles. Your awe-inspiring deeds will be on every tongue; I will proclaim your greatness. Everyone will share the story of your wonderful goodness; they will sing with joy about your righteousness. Psalm 145:4–7 NLT

*This is what the Lord says--your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; "I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go. If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea. Isaiah 48:17, 18 NIV

*But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it. It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. Ephesians 4: 7, 11-16 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment