Friday, February 27, 2009

Lent 3: I love you, O LORD, my strength

Who among your acquaintances is in their early thirties? Are they solid citizens? Responsible adults? Hard-working contributors to society? Would you trust your salvation and the fate of the world to them?

This morning, I was wondering how people felt when an upstart carpenter began wandering the countryside with a band of followers. Crowds flocked to hear him and see him perform miracles the first year, but he ran into serious opposition in years two and three. Political flack, religious accusers… plus he wasn’t the novelty draw anymore. The same twelve disciples, along with some women and other hangers-on, were still around. But they were asking hard questions, too. Some in the inner circle were hinting at a government overthrow so they could be in power.

Jesus would often withdraw to pray and gain perspective. So many demands, so many notions of what he should be doing, so many expectations. Even when he said he’d die and be raised again, his followers just let it slip by them. How much blunter could he be?

Only he and the Father knew what was coming, but Jesus persisted. He put aside every weight and others’ hopes. He kept his love for his Father front and center, and drew strength to become the thirty-something who would acquire the justice our sin demanded, so we could have a relationship with God.

Pause to pray for your thirty-year-old friends sometime today!

--
God's peace to you today!
*But I trust in Your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in Your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, for He has been good to me. Psalm 13:5,6 NIV

*I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:1-3 NIV

*And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. …Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won't he also give us everything else? Romans 8:28, 32 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment