Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dizzy spell

One hour into our five-hour flight yesterday, my lip started to go numb--as though I'd gotten a dentist's needle for anesthetic. Within a few minutes, the numbness spread through my lip, up to my eye, down into my gums so I couldn't feel my teeth, down to my jaw. Without other symptoms, I approached the flight attendant and let her know what was happening. She said, "I'll look up the symptoms. We may have to land the plane if it continues. Shall I check on you?"

They say you don't know what you'll do in an emergency until it happens. In the past, my heart rate feels like it slows down and time expands. I don't start shaking until it's over, and usually don't process emotions until a few days later when I think of how bad it was... or could have been. That makes me a good companion when others are panicking or when managing events for NU.

"Check on me in 2 hours?" I suggested. My pulse and skin temperature were normal and everything else seemed to be in order. The attendant looked up the symptoms (possible indicators for stroke or hyperventilation). But when I leaned back in my seat, the numbness began to ease within the hour. Meanwhile I thought about the ramifications of living with partial paralysis from a stroke, Bells Palsy, or even death. Was I bothered? Panicked? Afraid?

It didn't take me long to think through possible ramifications. Mostly, I felt sorry for the hassle it would be for family, and the inconvenience for other passengers if it was serious. Upcoming health challenges didn't upset me very much. My heart is at peace, especially after the weeks of praying and caring for Kirsten. There doesn't seem to be much at risk in any future we might face, as long as God is present.

Suddenly there was a pop near my sinus cavity. Instantly full feeling was restored. I think the twist of my neck as I was chatting with my fellow passenger might have temporarily pinched a nerve. There were no side-effects, and it didn't happen again. The flight attendant looked very relieved.

"Don't worry about tomorrow - every day has enough "stuff" to take of," said Jesus. He was right. God has proven to be enough for each day. My insides were smiling and my heart was full of gratitude as the plane landed and I hauled the suitcase off the luggage carousel.

Read more:

*Why do you say, O Jacob, And speak, O Israel: "My way is hidden from the LORD, And my just claim is passed over by my God”?

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength.

Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall, but those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:27-31 NKJV

*This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD. Jeremiah 9:23-24 NIV

*In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it. John 1:1-5 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment