Friday, October 1, 2010

Alignment with Truth


I am at peace in the classroom. Thirty-some years of teaching filled my past, and though I am a student again, who knows what lies ahead? Currently, I'm subbing for a teacher who is beloved by her class and by years of alumni.   

Yesterday, I assigned a quick blog to students. "Choose the style in which you will write, on a topic related to John 8," where Jesus says that his followers will know the Truth, and the Truth will set them free. 

The blogs are fascinating. Most students focused on self-development as related to a life centered around Truth himself. Here's what I wrote in my own 10-minute stream-of-consciousness. (My student partner's comments are below.)


Today if I were aligned with Truth
- in other words,

totally sold out
not holding back
not caring what others think
not measuring against past failures
not posturing for acclaim or to be noticed
without selfish planning for future advantage

full of the Spirit's gifts and empowerment
content with who God made me
looking for the image of Christ in fellow believers
trusting the image of God in humanity
aware of my limitations in call and ability
willing to risk my reputation and success for obedience
wholehearted about pleasing God

loving without reservation
forgiving as completely as I've been forgiven
pushing others into the limelight and stepping back
serving even when it's not convenient
speaking or being silent as I understand God's promptings
immersed in scripture and good, pure, reading
open to anything God puts in my journey
utterly devoted to Truth -

I would be blessed.
And a blessing.

The student noted the shape of the words became a funnel. God pours in, fills, and pours out. What a lovely (if unintentional) picture of alignment to Truth! She commented that the blog begins with discarding personal rights and self, moves to knowing God and receiving his work in us, and continues with attitudes and service that are an outcome of our walk with God. The summary is our heart's cry, "Hear our prayers so that we can bless others!" 

I am amazed at the good work of her teacher in opening the understanding and evaluation skills of students. I get the feeling that ongoing alignment with truth and steadiness in following Truth will produce a rich harvest of spiritual and mental freedom in this crop of young writers!

Read more:
*The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him. Exodus 15:2 NIV

*I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in him you have been enriched in every wayin all your speaking and in all your knowledgebecause our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful. 1 Corinthians 1:4-9 NIV

 

No comments:

Post a Comment