"Ummmm. I'm not sure it does." = Time to backtrack and rethink.
Jodi Detrich was one of several who have coached my academic and spiritual direction in the past few years. Tillie Porter sent daily verses for meditation. Such spiritual directors pinpoint strengths and weaknesses, how things fit together as we are growing in faith. They nudge (and sometimes push) us forward.
- "This experience is part of the academic process. Don't be discouraged."
- "We also felt overwhelmed and muddled in the beginning. Things become clearer. Keep moving."
- "Don't give up. Find out what the committee wants and write to that."
- And one that I really appreciated: "The goal is not perfection but finished."
- "What has God called you to do?
- "Who are you willing to be––and what are you willing to do––to fulfill that calling?"
- "How can we get you there?"
- "What barriers can we remove?"
- "Who do we know who could help? inform? make a path for you to get there?" (BTW: Alumni, ministers, and missionary cohorts are awesome circles of connections. My warmest thanks to alums and fellow students for everyone you've boosted when I sent them your way!)
Thanks especially to those who continue to help me find the path God has marked out for me. The question came up yesterday three times, "Now what? What are you going to do with this degree?"
Looking forward to it.
Life is good because God is great.
*As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. For who is God, except the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God? The Lord lives! Blessed be my Rock! Let the God of my salvation be exalted. Psalm 18:30-31, 46 NKJV
*May your eyes be open toward this temple night and day, this place of which you said, "My name shall be there." 1 Kings 8:29
*Jesus said, "Do not make my Father's house a house of merchandise!" John 2:16 (NKJV)
Moravian Prayer: We give thanks, O God, for the church that has nurtured us, helped us to grow in faith, supported us with its love and accepted us when we are rejected by others. The church has been your hands and your heart to us and has accepted us with all our hypocrisies, doubts, and fears. Amen.