Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lent Day 13: Thankful for waiting

Ziggy and Missy looked at me expectantly. They were ready to eat and I usually fed them at that time of morning. Their eyes followed me around the room and when I walked out the door to get a page from the printer, they got up to follow me. Tails wagging, they promised to please me any way I wanted, if only --

"C'mon, c'mon, you have the food and we are hungry. We always depend on you. Why are you not delivering?"

They were especially excited when I went into the conservatory to water the ferns. Their sleeping crate and feeding mat is out there so of course they expected breakfast. Disappointment, sorry!

"Here we go, come here," I called, drawing them back into the house. They came reluctantly and plopped themselves beside me, eyes open to every move. Waiting. Waiting.

I'd planned to go to the library on that winter cold day. I didn't want them shivering in the car while I worked. After that, I had an hour-long appointment which would have meant more sitting in a confined space. Their food was ready but they'd be enjoying it--and the run of the warm conservatory--while I was away. We'd go for a walk when I came back which they love. In the meantime, they had to wait even though they couldn't understand the reason.

I'm a people lover and a dog like-er. Sometimes  the two little black beasts who live at our house demonstrate the difference between God's supreme knowledge and our human hopes and aspirations. They know a lot but not what's on my mind.

I have made several requests to God over and over: health for our daughter, protection for a small church (which just closed), good work when studies are done, and ongoing pleas that God would intervene for friends and family who urgently need his touch.

Like the dogs who anxiously watch me move around, we see God at work and wonder why he isn't attending to our needs. We can't bribe him with good behavior or demand that he answer us. He knows so much more than we do, has every provision in hand, and his plan is perfect. I'm thankful today that we can trust the One who asks us to wait on Him. Waiting reminds us that he's in charge.

What make you fretful or impatient today? How can you release the timing and God's answer back to him?

Read more:
*For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who is not partial and takes no bribe. Deuteronomy 10:17

*Jesus knew immediately what they were thinking, so he asked them, 'Why do you question this in your hearts? Is it easier to say to the paralyzed man "Your sins are forgiven," or "Stand up, pick up your mat, and walk"? So I will prove to you that the Son of Man has the authority on earth to forgive sins.' Then Jesus turned to the paralyzed man and said, 'Stand up, pick up your mat, and go home!'

And the man jumped up, grabbed his mat, and walked out through the stunned onlookers. They were all amazed and praised God, exclaiming, 'We've never seen anything like this before!'" Mark 2:8–12

*From him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever. Romans 11:36

Moravian Prayer: Almighty, omnipotent God, we adore you and we praise you. You inspire awe within us as we contemplate the magnificence of your creative ability joined with the splendor of your unconditional love for us, your creatures. What a glorious combination! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment