Friday, October 12, 2012

Notes to self, approaching autumn

Sipping from my "joy" cup today
Do you love autumn? Relish the changing colors of the trees? Take the kids to romp in the winddrifts of crackling leaves? Welcome the chance to put logs on the fire and snuggle close to the warmth?

I'm a summer person myself. I love the emerging buds and bursts of flowers. I cherish each sunny day as though it were my last, even if it's the 100th in a row and I have to seek shelter from the heat. (Then I sit close to a window and thank God for bright light!) I love waking to early mornings and reading without lights until late evening. I think I love everything about summer. But fall? Since my kids were in their teens, I've dreaded it.

Hello, trusty Merrill shoes. Goodbye, beloved flip-flops
until the next sunny autumn day.
This year I've promised myself a better attitude about fall and winter. While the weather was hot, I got a smack-down from a dear friend about my winter whining. "Stop it!" she said. "That's enough already."

I heard her loud and clear. And, oh yes, I believe that "wounds from a friend CAN be trusted," as the wise sage said. So this year I'm going to thank God for the moments I enjoy, while anticipating spring's end and summer's beginning ... only 8 months away. Smiling already at the thought of all that sun and heat.

A cup of the Irish (AG version)
with Pumpkin Spice in our InginuiTea
The dogs and I had a great walk this morning. The drizzle held off until our driveway. Note to self: "The best weather in this neighborhood is before 8am. Get moving early. It will often be raining by 8:30 or 9."

I tore off a laurel branch that was leaning over the sidewalk and popped it into a vase when I got home. Its black berries look great on the kitchen sill. Note to self: "Prune the branches while they're pretty, since they'll be dripping water on you in a week or less. Enjoy their beauty up close and personal."

Opening the tea cabinet to choose
a fragrance for the day
When we got home, I made a cup of Black Irish tea and dressed it with pumpkin pie spice. Note to self: "Add a bit of sugar. Cloves and cinnamon are bitter without it."

While the tea steeped, I poured water from the hot-water tap over mulling spices in a medium pot. It's simmering on the stove, providing the illusion that someone is baking autumn spice cookies. Note to self: "Fragrance matters."

I like layering clothes when the weather turns on us, from those whitest of European undershirts to the thin merino wool tights that snug under jeans. Note to self: "Choose the nicest, warmest clothing. Don't save beautiful sweaters for appointments or pretty socks for special days. Enjoy every generous gift God gives you. And why not put on 3 interesting bracelets if you want to?"

W cuts out the yellow ceiling and a wall of blue
W repainted my office last week. Instead of three walls of cheery but intense medium blue, I have a brightest-white ceiling and facing walls. The mirror wall remains bluest-blue, and the opposite wall shines deep royal blue. It's an update without a loss of personality. Note to self: "Being at home during the cold season is a wonderful gift. Thanks, hon, for making our house live and breathe!"

 I'm happy this morning. The rain's come. The light's fading and days are short. But God renews his mercies every morning. Great is his faithfulness!

New merino wool socks for this cold morning
Read more:
*I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Do not fear, I will help you.” Isaiah 41:13 

*Jesus took her by the hand and said to her, “Talitha cum,” which means, “Little girl, get up!” Mark 5:41 

*But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.

Since we live by the Spirit, let us
keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. Galatians 5:22-26 NIV


Moravian Prayer: Great Physician, you speak to us in many ways, bringing both comfort and challenge. Healing God, comfort us, heal us and encourage us. May we share your blessing with others this day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment