"What do you desire?" asks my mentor. (I'm reading Sacred Rhythms by Ruth Haley Barton.)
Here's my desire list for Advent:
- Renewed intimacy with the Presence. Sit, love, be loved. In all the busyness of the dissertation and tasks, it was easier to focus on doing rather than being with.
- Be present with guests. I love hospitality tasks but find it hard to sit down with company for any length of time.
- Discipline for health: good eating and exercise. Lose 8 lbs.
- Declutter Christmas "stuff": give away ornaments, garlands, and other excess. End up with 4-5 storage bins (from 10).
- Read and watch uplifting things. I want to resist junk on TV and in books.
*If you obey the Lord your God: Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the field. Deuteronomy 28:2-3
*May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14 NIV
*Jesus said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it!” Luke 11:28
*I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints. I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ. Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints. Philemon 4-7 NIV
Moravian Prayer: Dear Jesus, you came to fulfill the law, to give the commandments a human body. You obeyed the law and infused it with love. May we know the freedom and joy of obedience. Amen.