Monday, January 7, 2013

Time for the cure

One of five bouquets from
the January Cure
One of the most fun things I've done this year has been a January Cure. You know how it feels like time for renewal every year after the ornaments and tree are packed away?
  • We typically reflect on the old year and how we lived. Were we fully engaged as humans? Did our spiritual and physical lives reflect meditation on God's word and prayer? Did we do good deeds (an old-fashioned idea) and work hard at where God has set us?
  • Then we make resolutions or think about our hopes for the coming year. Some of us journal or keep track. Many of us forget our dreams as soon as the routines crank up to full speed.
I found Apartment Therapy's January Cure online here. It assigns a decluttering task every day. My floors are sparkling clean after hard exertion Friday at my LEAST favorite task in the house. (It was assigned so I did it.) The assignment after that was to buy flowers. One Costco bunch was enough for five arrangements.

Today's chore is to sit in a corner of the house and look around for 10 minutes. Hey, that's the kind of job that comes easily to me! (Click here for details.)

How significant! How few of us take time to think about how accustomed we've become to our patterns of relationships, work, and play. We walk past the people looking for friendship and meaning. We zoom by a cluttered corner of our minds or ignore a heap of sins tucked in the center of our hearts. We get less and less fit as we consume heaped plates of food three times a day.

Sitting and looking around is a good practice. I'm going to try for 10 minutes a day in several corners of the house this week. But more than that, I'm going to practice looking inside to see what God shines his light on. That way, I'm bound to leave behind what is spoiled and old and let Him grow the things that are reaching for Him.

What are you looking at today?

Read more:
*Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshipped, and he said to him, “What do you command your servant, my Lord?” Joshua 5:1

*Jesus said, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.” Luke 8:2

Moravian Prayer: Holy God, as we worship you today, give us wisdom and understanding about your intention for us and courage to fulfill your commands in Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment