Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A grammar grandma

It takes me longer to synthesize information and write stuff now. I used to whip out assignments, but now I want to think about what they mean. Silly me!

This week we're relearning English grammar in our TESOL class. Today we went through clauses, phrases, kinds of verbs (12!), adverbials, and more.

If I zone out for an instant, I feel like I've lost track of where we are. My head was spinning: it reminded me of algebra where everything makes sense until you open the book at home. Then it's blah blah blah - and "didn't this make sense 5 hours ago?"

I've just wrapped up an assignment ... and found there is nowhere to post it. Maybe it was deleted from our requirements and I blinked at that time ... and didn't hear we didn't have to do it. Oh well, it's late and time for bed. I learned something from reading it and writing my paper, so that's a bonus.

This is all part of what I'm learning in prep for Indonesia. I don't know how God will use this information. At the very least, it's reminding me of how complicated English is.

It should be helpful for the Research Methodology class I teach this summer in Singapore.  That classroom is usually filled with students whose second or third language is English... and I have to teach them to write a coherent paper in 2 weeks. Good luck to us all!

What have you had to learn that doesn't seem to have a purpose? Found out anything lately that seemed so random or out-of-the-ordinary that you just shook your head?

We might not know why God brings things to our attention. But "paying attention" is important, day after day. We read scripture, pray for guidance, and then do what is at hand. Grammar wasn't high on my list, but here we are. What's on your list today?

Read more: 
*But who can detect their errors? Clear me from hidden faults. Psalm 19:12 NLT

*Even youths will faint and be weary, and the young will fall exhausted; but those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary. Isaiah 40:30-31 NLT

*When the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy. Titus 3:4-5 NLT

*It is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Philippians 2:13 NLT

Moravian Prayer: Father God, we praise you as our Creator. Lord Jesus, we thank you for your sacrificial death. Holy Spirit, we are grateful for your constant advocacy. Triune God, fill us with your love and power that we may worship in wonder, work without growing weary, and wait patiently to know your will.

Almighty God, you know us completely. We all sin and fall short of your glory, but Christ’s death saves us from the punishment we deserve. Keep us strong and sure in a world of sin and strife. We ask this trusting in your divine mercy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment