|From Real Simple Daily Thought|
- You wake without an alarm and bounce out of bed in anticipation.
- The family cooperates to make the morning easy and the commute is light.
- When you check in, the boss (or coworkers) greet you with a smile and wish you a great day.
- You work hard at your calling but it feels like play. The day flies by. Before you know it, it's time to go wrap up.
- You're refreshed and your heart is singing. You don't even notice the homeward commute.
- Your family is happy to see you - it's been another great day, and you can't wait for tomorrow!
well, work. It felt more like "By the sweat of your brow you shall labor," than "You shall go out with joy and be led forth in peace."
No matter how ideal the vocation and no matter what our great expectations, parts of what we do will be hard, perhaps even distasteful. They may feel like boring chores.
- Programmers have to show up at meetings with managers who ramble on about their own agenda.
- Faculty members have to serve on committees and grade papers.
- Landscapers have to scrape the mud off their shovels and strip off dirty overalls.
- Are you a communicator? Maybe the meetings and the group presentations ring all kinds of bells for you.
- Are you a gifted teacher? Seeing students grasp new concepts thrills you.
- Do you have the gift of hospitality? You forget the mess in the kitchen because people are enjoying the meal.
- Are you a caregiver? Easing the burden of others brings you joy.
What makes it all worthwhile is aligning our calling, gifting, education, and experience. What about your work makes you happy you're there?
*The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master’s crib; but my people do not understand. Isaiah 1:3 NLT
*Do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. Ephesians 5:17 NLT
Moravian Prayer: You made us in your image, God, and appointed us stewards of your creation. Yet we do not acknowledge your greatness or your will for our lives. Teach us humility, that we may know you as our Creator. Amen.