Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Lent Day 37: Thankful for healing

Imagine a deity that looks out for his creatures... Who provides health... Who promotes healing by giving guidelines for abundant living (and occasionally intervening with miracles)... A divine being who would oversee the welfare of his worshippers.

Imagine God, through Jesus.

Jesus took our sins and illnesses to the cross. He mends our shattered bodies, tends our broken hearts, and re-forms our emotional disabilities. Thinking of his interest in us and his care for us, isn't he worthy of praise and honor today?

How has God healed you or someone you know? Have you experienced his care recently for body, soul, or spirit?

Read more:
*I will satisfy the weary, and all who are faint I will replenish. Jeremiah 31:25 ESV

*Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him."

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. John 3:14-18 NIV ESV



After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, support, strengthen, and establish you. 1 Peter 5:10 ESV

*Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. Romans 13:8 NEV

Moravian Prayer: God of grace, you are our ever-present refuge and strength. May we constantly turn to you when we are weary so we may walk with a renewed sense of your purpose for our lives. In Christ's name.

God of all grace, as your children, we give praise and honor to you at all times. Nudge us when we begin to slide, especially during this time of Lenten reflection and repentance. Thank you for being our rock, our refuge, and our strength. Amen.

CS Lewis (Mere Christianity): 
The more we get what we now call ‘ourselves’ out of the way and let Him take us over, the more truly ourselves we become. There is so much of Him that millions and millions of ‘little Christs’, all different, will still be too few to express Him fully. He made them all. He invented— as an author invents characters in a novel—all the different men that you and I were intended to be. In that sense our real selves are all waiting for us in Him. It is no good trying to ‘be myself’ without Him. 

The more I resist Him and try to live on my own, the more I become dominated by my own heredity and upbringing and surroundings and natural desires. In fact what I so proudly call ‘Myself’ becomes merely the meeting place for trains of events which I never started and which I cannot stop. What I call ‘My wishes’ become merely the desires thrown up by my physical organism or pumped into me by other men’s thoughts or even suggested to me by devils. Eggs and alcohol and a good night’s sleep will be the real origins of what I flatter myself by regarding as my own highly personal and discriminating decision to make love to the girl opposite to me in the railway carriage. Propaganda will be the real origin of what I regard as my own personal political ideas. 

I am not, in my natural state, nearly so much of a person as I like to believe: most of what I call ‘me’ can be very easily explained. It is when I turn to Christ, when I give myself up to His Personality, that I first begin to have a real personality of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment