Thursday, June 9, 2016

Seattle spring

I miss home and Bandung as I'm waiting for my passport to arrive in Seattle. W's attending a seminar in Indonesia: the speaker is a NW friend and mentor. Life is complicated! It's hard to believe that some people never get a passport or never get a stamp in it.

There are many things to enjoy while I wait.
Butterfly girl on floral blanket
When I return home in 2 weeks, the assignment will pick up at full speed. Meanwhile, this trip feels like a pause. I sit on my patio with a mug of tea and enjoy the forest and time with the grandkids.



For a task-oriented person, it feels like a diversion. A few months ago, arriving for the initial citizenship application, my soul arrived in Seattle completely depleted from intensive work abroad. So I went to art classes, had multiple visits with friends most days, and read dozens of books from the library. I returned to Indonesia with a full heart, ready to plunge in again.

This time, I've completed most of my errands and assignments. It's fun to have the grandkids around. Our youngest son moves to Texas next week and we have time together. (It will be strange to return to Seattle in future without him living here.)
Food for body and soul

Olive tapinade, brie, and avocado
Soul food
I see friends a few times a week. I walk and read, but not frantically. I've written no book or theatre reviews. I'm editing several projects and considering compiling my own writing. The pressure ("Will I get citizenship; will I finish editing; is there enough time to get my passport back, what else needs to be done?" etc.) is off. I'm not yet finished what I have to do but it's in process.

My ticket shows 2 more weeks here. I have to figure out what to pare from luggage. What we really need. What to leave behind.

[When you travel, please consider an extravagant gift for your friends! Ask if there are things you can squeeze into your suitcase for them. Maybe consider traveling light so you can carry the suitcase we've left behind. Family and partners bless us with us ministry aids, personal things, or 'little comforts' - (non-scratchy bed sheets already packed!) But often we don't have luggage room to take them back. We promise to supply you with things you need on our end: shampoo, a blow dryer, and other supplies.]

I love the beauty of spring in Seattle and snap pictures to take back: I always have room for that!
clean streams 
Dogwood blooms
maple helicopters
roadside orchids
Roses


a little Free Library
sedums
and always - giveaways by people who have too much
flowers of spring 
Spring in Seattle is stunning. Thank be to God for beauty, eyes to see it, and friends to share it with.

Read more: (ESV)
*You show me the path of life. Psalm 16:11

*God will not take away a life; he will devise plans so as not to keep an outcast banished forever from his presence. 2 Samuel 14:14

*The scribes said to Jesus’ disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” When Jesus heard this, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.” Mark 2:16-17

*The free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

Moravian Prayer: Lord, open our hearts to love all those we meet, our eyes to see all those in need, our hands to hold and help where we can, our minds to learn from others and to allow you to lead, and our ears to listen more than we speak and to hear your words.

Teacher, light the path that you have laid for us to follow so that we might see your plans for us and know your will. Give us the strength and courage to follow where you lead, trusting in you with our whole selves. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment