Thursday, May 23, 2019

Fussing and fighting

Sunday, May 19, 2019
It's our oldest son's birthday. We call him the night before (his time). Our 14-hour offset makes it hard to connect.
Our family tradition is singing HBday to the victim of the day. My parents sing to their kids, we sing to ours, and they sing back. Yes, W and I sing - there's a brief silence on the other end and then, "thanks." Yeah, we're not great vocalists - but that's the fun of it.  Some years, the singers get past line one ...  and break into giggles instead of song.

Jeremy is 39. I remember like yesterday how exciting and painful that arrival was. According to the doc's due date, he was 15 days late. (= A very long wait for a future-oriented mom-to-be.) I was happy where the day came, one day after Mt St. Helens blew its top. Maybe that's what shook you loose, dear son.

So glad he joined the world - he's a great blessing to us and many others. And he was a good big brother!
When I go to call him, I notice a call from his phone as well. It's a well-sung HBday for me, from late March! W and I agree that Jeremy and Rebekah sing very well together: both have lovely voices. (Jer was in a boys choir with the sweetest and most pure tone until his voice change at 12 or 13. Nice memory.)

Monday plus
The study and office work are as usual - but I'm in a slump. After strenuous times, when I get a break, my body just rests - and my mind disengages. All week, I'm in neutral.
I love this team!
I check off my to-do lists, do a bit of writing, and do a great workshop about instagram. I'm a beta tester and have to catch up - the last few weeks have felt like I'm sitting on a spinner.

I learn so much it blows my mind. I take copious notes. This is one course I highly recommend. The host is fun and funny - but very clear about what you can do. It's a 30-day course - which gives lots of time to get your IG for personal or business from ho-hum to magnificent. Don't miss it! *I'll post the link when it's up for the public - or just google it.
What else is new? More critters. In the house, a roaming mouse chomps plaster off the ceiling as it scrabbles around. I hear it in the middle of the night but keep our bedroom door firmly closed. I'm not the brave type who grabs a broom and smacks something dead. W is asleep.

I actually pursue a roach across the porch one morning, after it jumps out of the wicker chair. "That's that for you, buggie!" The dogs sniff the mess and leave it alone - roaches stink when they're squished.

The grass has grown to 10" in places; the rain has fallen and the gardener has done other things. We notice this week that it's drier. Rainy season has lasted a few months longer than usual. That's great for the farms and rice fields on the hillsides around Bandung. But the bugs love to shelter in the house when that happens. On the advice of locals, I sprinkle cinnamon (thanks to Costco, a fragrant bottle) around the usual entries and we seem to have less ant and roach intruders.

Someone donates a change table to BIC. It's is a beautiful teak antique. LOVELY. We pull the BIC crib from storage - voila, a nursery room. Well, we always had the room but it's only had a rug, one chair, and a check-in table.
We're upgrading our space to be disability-friendly as well. It's a big priority for us - whole-community access matters. Pak Chandra comes by the office to show up what he's dreamed up. I'm excited! to have everyone able to get into the auditorium.

The local restaurant has Ramadan decor right by the front door. They do similar installations for Christmas, Easter, and other national holidays.

Friday
Friends come for lunch - Sumi bakes the most delicious flax and chia bread, which we crave. She's baked every day; it's an easy share: we've given away 4 loaves this week. I love the smell when we come home from work, that lingering yeasty warmth that makes everyone feel welcome.

I also love the pics Melissa sends us - makes us feel happy. Isaac is modeling a hat for W: looking cute.
Otherwhere, it's been a tense week. The national election results have been known for a month: here, early results are posted as stations log in on the day of elections (last month). Early results polls have always been accurate in previous elections ... within a few percentage points.

Like 5 years ago, the (same) loser is contesting the results as "corruption and fraud." The public statements, fomenting social chats, and some organizational prep send locals and people bused in from around the island to the streets in Jakarta to protest.

We get a warning from the American embassy in Jakarta to stay out of public areas. So we and other foreigners stay home all day. No walks. Media is interrupted by govt to prevent flash mobs and fake news from circulating. The government has been pretty patient during the run-up to the election announcements, but locals have been very worried about violence.
Today, all seems quiet. Cars and buildings were torched in the past two days in Jakarta. There are hundreds in hospital, eight dead, and for what? So sad - praying for the families and those affected by senseless mobs. "Lord have mercy and overshadow the world with Your peace."

Read more:
*Your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16 
Blessed are those who hear the word of God and obey it! Luke 11:28 
Moravian Prayer: Gracious Lord, it is such a marvelous privilege to be called your sons and daughters. Thank you for the blessing of your guidance. May our joy be evident in everything we say and do! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment