Friday, November 1, 2019

The start of rainy season

We get some funny pics of the grandkids, which reminds me how far away they are and how grateful I am for technology.

It's clear that rainy season is upon us, which is supposed to happen in late October or early November. It does. But before the rains hit, it's very hot and stuffy. Gypsy our yard dog hates the thunder. "No dogs in the house," is suspended. He takes literally our commands (sometimes), sleeping just outside the sheer curtain but still inside.
We've become comfortable speaking together, though getting the talk together is still sometimes a challenge. We approach scriptures and life from different viewpoints. Someone sends me a snap from last Sunday.
Tuesday
The landlord comes by an hour later than planned, which is not extraordinary for this culture. We take some fun pictures - he's all dressed up in the most beautiful batik hat and sarong. He's the descendent and current prince of the Sunda sultan. He jokes that he dressed up just to sign our lease.
He asks for a picture with us to prove we signed. When he leaves, we have an agreement to rent this place for 3 more years. I woke this morning thinking about moving everything into a new space. Nightmarish. So it's good to be staying put.

Our team meets and has lunch together at our place. We miss the intimacy of a team eating a home-cooked meal: sitting around a table with snacks isn't the same. Our talk isn't ready - we're scrambling to get things up to speed again.

W and I are working on separate projects, catching up on administrative things. I have moving parts while planning Christmas, Easter, and check on items week to week. We go back and forth all week on a program cover - the artist in me is unsatisfied until it's done. And I'm writing the BIC Enews again - it's the end of the month.

Wednesday
It's date day, which we start with a visit friends in the cool hills of Lembang. After, W keeps asking what I want to do, which is exhausting; we've already talked about it. So we end up with something entirely different. I get a Happy Hour foot massage while he goes back up the hills to retrieve the purse I've left draped over our friends' chair. 

We get home tired. And go back to work.

Thursday
I was debating whether to walk or not. I'm out of shape. So while I dread it, I need it more than ever. It's very satisfying to be out in the hills. We walk from and back to a neighborhood meeting point.
 The green paint covers an entire hillside, mosque, school, and orphanage.
 The Maj remains an unlivable apartment that's not been inspected for safety. We watch it from a distance.
2 weeks ago, hillside burning resulted in a few fires in the dry brush below our house. The fire departments put it out, but we see curls of smoke from garbage being burned today.
The ground is dry and the weather is hot. We have lunch at Miss Bee.

Someone points out that the new house being framed in our neighborhood has only beam-to-beam welding and no cross-supports. That can't be good.

The helper has left us a chicken supper, which I microwave. We have friend from the neighborhood over, a comradely gathering around our table. After supper, we eat the brownies brought by Christine, a hit. Dr H has brought mangoes and I add some honey-sweetened yogurt to the dessert.

By 9pm, I'm alternately throwing up in the sink and sitting on the "throne". W is fine but there's been a stomach bug going around. It's bitten me, for sure.

Friday
I'm fasting, trying to stop of the stomach heaves. Hopefully none of our guests got sick. I spent much of the night in the restroom. And rest during the day.

Rainy season has started - I go into the kitchen for water and see a stream running down the wall and through the open shelves of spices. The helper is due to leave for home, but the rain is so strong, she's messaging on her phone. W come to look and sees that the balcony drain is plugged upstairs. The old teak parquet is under 1" of water.

W clears the drain, then we scoop, push water out, and put fans in place to dry it up. IbuS helps mop the mess away as the rain tapers off. She works an hour extra so W gives her another day's pay. I have spice jars all over my counter. We'll wait until the shelving dries up before putting them back.
W's working on financial reports while I try not to let my stomach erupt again. Success all around.

Read more:
*Salvation belongs to our God who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb! Revelation 7:10
*For your name’s sake, O Lord, pardon my guilt, for it is great. Psalm 25:11
*In Jesus Christ we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace. Ephesians 1:7
Moravian Prayer: Lord God, thank you for all your saints, past and present, whom we have been blessed to know. Just as your love did shine through them, let your love now shine through us. In your son’s name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment