Saturday, May 16, 2020

Color, lines, and staying sane

Zoom. Another week gone by quickly. How are you coping?

And now zoom has another meaning: Zoom = lots of online meetings. I've talked to people from every continent in the last few weeks via the Z app.

I was getting so distracted trying to listen that I began opening a fresh page in my little (4"X5") journal whenever a meeting started. After a week, there's a lot to see.
I have plenty of markers, so I spread them on my desk.
I filled up the brush in a cheap watercolor set ($5 Koi)
And I dragged out scraps of paper, receipts, and other glue-worthy junk.
 One of the groups that came to visit left behind scrapbooking supplies: glue, scissors, stickers, paper ... and we've used up most of it.
What's left has been begging to be used. This week, facing another barrage of online connections, I think, "I hear you, I hear you," and pour a box of treasures  onto my desk.

Depending on the length and complexity of the meeting, I can put a lot of things on a page spread without too much effort.
I've cut letters into little envelopes and glued music on the page. I've smeared tea over the pages, too. The colors remind me of the mood of the gathering. The one above appeared during a board meeting--with good ideas from the members. 

The one below was made during a more subdued get-together, with an agenda of problem-solving. Everyone was worn out.
Mostly, the hand motion and colors let me focus on what people are saying. I keep a pen handy to take notes. But I'm remembering the conversations better with my side gig.
It's fun to remember the meetings as I open my journal pages. I have another book for writing down ideas and my thoughts, so the art journal only has one purpose: drain off the excess energy that comes from trying to sit still for an hour or two.
How are YOU keeping sane during the many online meetings? I'd love your ideas.

Or do you wish someone would call you because you're lonesome?

Read more:
*The Lord heard our voice and saw our affliction, our toil, and our oppression. Deuteronomy 26:7
*The heavens will vanish like smoke, the earth will wear out like a garment, and those who live on it will die like gnats; but my salvation will be forever. Isaiah 51:6
*Will not God grant justice to his chosen ones who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long in helping them? Luke 18:7
*Jesus said, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.” Luke 21:33
Moravian Prayer: Great Provider, so much of our days are spent trying to receive material things that lack permanence. May we have the courage to refocus our lives on receiving the gift of everlasting life that you grant us. 
Gracious Lord, hear those who cry in the night. Be with your people who suffer at the hands of others. Bring justice and mercy to your world. In your name, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment