Sunday, August 23, 2020

Fasting, which is not fun. Period.

I was going to write an update as usual. But instead, let me ask you a question. How does the light come into your soul?
Do you have regular spiritual practices? If so, what is easy for you? What's hard?

Never tried one? Read on. Here's my nemesis though it may also be one way of maturing in character and faith. I don't know. I don't feel much happening because of it, though it puts God in mind.

Ugh. Can I be honest with you?

I really don't enjoy some of the spiritual practices. Take fasting, for example.

My weekly routine includes a spiritual fast (no food) and prayer. However, I confess that I "almost" always talk myself out of not eating. That happens every week. I can come up with pretty good excuses. Yup, I can find good reasons not to fast most of the time.

And then my heart takes over with, "Just do it!"

So I fast. You know what though? Even after a few years, I really don't enjoy it. Never have. Maybe I never will. It doesn't make me feel virtuous or like I'm accomplishing anything. Sometimes I think it just makes me hungry.

For me, fasting is not a stroll in the park. But spiritual practices are supposed to be disciplines, right? So what if it doesn't feel like I'm getting stronger. I confess that fasting is often accompanied by a sigh somewhere in the middle of 20-24 hours without food.

Reading scripture and praying is natural - I like those disciplines. But fasting? nope. Not fun.

So why bother? With fasting or any difficult discipline or spiritual practice?

Well, before we get to that, let's face up to two things.

First, being busy and tied up in all the to-dos can eat through your days and weeks. You can live without a break if you choose to. And then you get exhausted and maybe blame God for the "burden" of serving.

That's happened to me, but was it God's fault that life feels like a heavy load? Isn't he the one who said, "Take my yoke ... because my burden is light?"
Second, do you ever feel overwhelmed with the needs around you? You know you can't keep up - you can never do enough to care for others. Maybe you're snapping at people because you're tired. And then you blame God for your bad relationships.

I've been there. But did God put you or me in the middle of that? Didn't he say that we'd be full of "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control?" Um, yes he did.

Much of life or your response to it is your own choice. And it's my choice!

So I choose to fast and watch what happens. (Nobody else joins me so sometimes I see others eat. That just makes me hungrier. Not helpful.)

I remember my Grandma fasting every week. I remember how her life was shaped by her faith, including her practice of fasting and prayer. I tie myself into her discipline when my own is not enough.
But why bother?

1. Fasting puts me on pause. For one day a week, food is "off the table," so to speak.

2. Fasting changes the rhythms of my days and my week. It's a prayer time and time of reflection ... though I often relax by reading or watching a show online. I'm checked out of daily obligations. There' no preparing supper or breakfast, so I can unwind.

3. Fasting reminds me of the needs of others and makes me more grateful. I confess that I am always happy when a fast over. Still, those stomach-growls remind me that many people never have enough to eat. It makes me grateful for a meal.

You and I are called to love God and love others. That's the summary of all the commandments, according to Jesus.

How does fasting help with that? I don't really know. I feel called to fast so maybe I'm being shaped by it somehow.

What is shaping you? I'll list a few spiritual practices though there are many more. You can click on the links to explore further, if you want to.

Why not pick something today? Choose a discipline that put you in God's pathway.

Why not open up your heart to hear from him? Are you ready? Here we go. Pick one. Any one as a start.

  • Reading scripture: an online reader - read scripture or have scripture read to you in many languages.
  • Prayer and contemplation: Renovaré Lots of stuff here - check it out.
  • Pause: an app reminder to pause for a minute to acknowledge God. The "ding" notification pops up twice a day but you can choose the time. (This one's easy-peasy.)
  • Solitude and Silence: browse Ruth Haley Barton's books or posts or listen to her podcasts.
  • Serving: care for others
  • Giving: this is about being a conduit of blessing for resources generously given by God and freely shared through us. (from God and Your Stuff, Dr. Wesley Wilmer and Martyn Smith. NavPress 2002)

What will you choose this week?
Yes, we struggle. We engage in spiritual practices. 

But it's his power that works in us. You in?

2 comments: